About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, February 5, 2012

Can Spring Be Far Behind?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Looks like spring might be here soon!I just bought a bunch of these cheery dafodils the other day! blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Dixie at Maida is having a Prims magazine challenge about dolls from literature, sign up deadline is this Sat.(I think) and they must be mailed to Prims by April 15th. Lots of the doll makers have signed up. I don't see your name!!!!!!! Many characters are taken,(I am doing Becky Thatcher from Tom Sawyer) Check it out!!!!! No one is doing a western character except Sacajawea I think is chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, Becky Thatcher is a great choice. I look forward to seeing what you do with her. But, for me...here's the deal. You have me pegged correctly; I would like to do a western character, and I originally signed up for Sacajawea. But, because of a couple of things, I withdrew my name. First, after I saw all the other characters that were being chosen, I didn't think a historical character like Sacajawea would be appropriate. I have looked for another character, but I question the public domain thing...never thought that would be an issue when making one tiny little ole' homemade doll! If you think of a character, please let me know! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    Tiger Lilly the Princess of the Indians that live on the Island of Neverland in Peter Pan would be a perfect choice for you! OR Hiawatha from the poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow would be good too. Think about it......

    ReplyDelete