About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, February 11, 2012

Firewood...

"Snow is likely Monday, followed by light freezing rain and sleet."  That's the news from our weather guy.  Dan stacked firewood on the porch just in case.  He always says, as old-timers used to say, that "cutting firewood will warm you twice - once when cutting it and again when it burns."






And, here is a bit of Dan's second warming...wonderful this cold night!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful stack of wood! Does Dan split this by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did split this by hand since it was a small tree. He seemed pleased that I wanted a picture of it - a kind of art, I think. But, the stack is going down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,
    I am so glad to see your name on the list.......Tiger Lily is so perfect for you. Her and Tinkerbell are my favorite characters from Peter Pan. Dixie was more than happy; as you were already signed up anyway!! Besides, it was selfish on my part, I want someone from my neck of the woods I can chat with about the challenge. I have a lot on my plate so I hope I can actually get the doll made and sent off in time. I have an elderly Mother that is quite ill and I never know what might happen. I really don't think my simple country dolls are what fits Prims, but that's the only kind of doll I make and I'm going to participate anyway!
    Fondly,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete