About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, April 14, 2012

Let It Rain...

With rain in the forecast for tomorrow, I have worked hard all week finishing up the flower borders around the house. 

Old iron plows and other assorted junk keep Nell from digging a bed among
the flowers.  (I never scold her!)



A lichen covered rock doesn't need much care...just a little water.



Every flower border needs a rusty rooster.


A "Welcome" sign at the front sidewalk hanging from an old buggy frame...




4 comments:

  1. Love the vintage additions to your flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. LOVE the rooster. :~) I'm almost ready to move to a smaller yard, though...so tired of watering sand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pouring rain as I write this post, this is just what your lovely flower garden will love. I really think your rooster is something to crow about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks friends! Charlotte, vintage rust has a certain appeal to me. I just can't bring myself to paint the rooster...let him rust! Jan, now that I have seen your wonderful gardens, I do wonder how you managed to keep it alive last summer...lots of work, no doubt! And, Sherri, I think you got more rain than we did. But, it was a wonderful rain that lasted into the evening...a blessing for sure!

    ReplyDelete