About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bears and Bluffs...


I am learning to grab my camera when I leave home, just in case...On a recent trip to check on our mountain meadows, I came home with these pictures.  We were sitting in our jeep when we saw this bear ambling along toward us.  He seemed unaware that we were there.  When I snapped this picture, he was gone in a flash.  He may have heard the  sound of the camera shutter, or he may have spotted us.  In the picture, he is somewhat swallowed up by the tall grasses and cane, but with a really good zoom lens, I could have had him!

The bluff which overlooks the meadow has several caves that might be perfect for a bear's den.  With a fish from the creek for main course and delicious ripe raspberries for dessert (we had a few), what else could a nice fat bear want?




4 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I suppose he's an Arkansas black bear. One evening coming home from Branson on our dirt road a bear ran in front of my car. I was inches from smacking him when I got stopped. Scared the living daylights out of me!!! I think he was just as scared. We stared at one another for a couple seconds and then he was gone. Every once in a while one is spotted around here. I love bears, just not too close! It's beautiful where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place! I love to watch bears.........although there is none in our area and I know they are dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bears do fascinate me, and now I am more determined to get a good shot of one, with my camera of course. Sherri, guess an inch is as good as a mile...good for you and the bear that it was a miss! And, Kathleen, we do love the mountains, but I think your prairie is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me frightened! I hope I never see one when I'm out and about!

    ReplyDelete