About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, July 23, 2012

OR & Company



The beautiful Angus heifer I wrote about in the post "A Bit of Dad's Legacy," has been named OR, which are Dad's initials.  After OR was weaned from her mother, she was joined by five other heifers, and the six of them soon bonded like sisters...thus OR & Company.

Waiting for an ear tag


OR has led a sheltered life, having been given daily almost all the hay and grain she could want, but there are things that she has seen very little of...rain and green grass.  By the time, she was brought to live on our farm, we were already in the midst of one of the worst droughts ever.  Day after day the temperatures have soared above 100 degrees and very little rain has fallen.  For OR & Company it has been the same daily ration...dry hay and grain.



Ear Tag No. 22

Loading Up

Out you go


But, today was a big day for this half-dozen young heifers, a day of going out into the big world to be on their own, where each day there won't always be a buffet of sweet feed and hay.  Each heifer was given an identifying ear tag before being loaded onto the stock trailer for a mile-long ride to their new home pasture.   A trough inside the pasture was filled with grain before OR & Co. were unloaded from the trailer.  Five heifers stopped at the trough to eat the grain, but one walked past and dropped her head to eat, what else, but green grass...that heifer was Ear Tag #22...OR.

OR

Good luck, OR & Company!

4 comments:

  1. OR.........I love the name and that it is your Dad's initials. I used to think I wanted a cow or two............but I have learned at how much work they really are. Or and company are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful.
    Memories surfaced of years ago
    when I bottle fed calves
    and they were all like pets.
    Still hear their cries as they were
    loaded and taken to the stock market.
    It is a sad memory.
    Seems I made pets of everything I raised.
    Love the name....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathleen and Ernestine for visiting us at the farm...don't get many visits these days so each one is something special. Dan keeps telling me not to fall in love with the cattle, but I just can't help it. So, you know what that means when market day rolls around...just like you Ernestine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to find places in the country along a stretch of road and take photos of cows. I love their serene faces.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete