About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, July 6, 2012

The Pond at Sunset...


When I saw the firey glow of the sun shining through the woods behind our house, I knew I would have to hurry to make it to the pond before sunset.  The temperature was still above one hundred degrees, even at this hour, so it was a hot, uphill climb.  Nell was with me but didn't seem to mind the heat, for a late evening walk is her greatest delight.



This path through the woods is one I often walk, my favorite one, but I have chosen an easier one as of late because of the heat.  


 Water...what a blessing!  I love this view of the pond, just a glimpse through the woods.




I am amazed that the water appears so blue, the color of pure water, during this time of drought.  It is at this time of day, on warm evenings, that Dan and I sometimes float out upon the pond, he at one end of the boat, and I at the other, with our fishing poles.  Only at this time of day is it so quiet and the warm breeze so gentle, a time when not many words pass between us, a time when we each have our own thoughts and let worries and cares drift away.



"That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest."  Henry David Thoreau













3 comments:

  1. Your woods and pond look very similar to mine :)
    I am just not walking this time of year. My favorite time is Fall, Winter and Spring.
    Always fearful I will run across a snake...
    Love the images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernestine, you are inspiring me to do more cleaning up along this path...love the trail you have blazed through your woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I have loved doing this. Am now making a spot for children and grandchildren to camp out. The trees are huge and the sun filters through. Maybe add an old bench I might find. I love doing this.
    In these 3 score and 10 years have to keep moving :)

    ReplyDelete