About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, August 23, 2012

More Woodland Neighbors...



As I sat in the yard a couple of evenings ago talking on the phone to my daughter, Nell began to bark loudly and incessantly into the darkness.  My daughter, hearing the commotion on the other end of the conversation, asked in a concerned voice what Nell was barking at.  In reply, I told her it didn't matter because there was nothing out there in the darkness that I was afraid of. 

It could have been one of these fellows who keep trying to become tame in their quest to find something to eat.  We have affectionately named them "The Boys."




It would not have been this flock of wild turkeys for they would have already gone to roost in the trees on the ridge behind our house.  The turkeys are faring much better than most of the wild critters during these days of drought for they spend long hours each day chasing and dining on the hordes of grasshoppers that have overtaken the land.




Of course, it might have been the one-eared doe who comes to the back door begging for table scraps.  She is quite gentle but discreet enough that she usually comes in under Nell's radar.  This picture was taken through the window blind in the kitchen.




The bear we have seen here and there around the place seems to have moved on, probably hoping to find more to eat elsewhere.  It is the one neighbor that I might give a wider berth, but only a little.  I will not be satisfied until I can get him in front of my lens (but, first I really need a new lens, one of those telephoto lens with maximum aperture, whatever that means, and with image stabilizer, etc....maybe for my birthday!)

4 comments:

  1. I love your critter posts. You live in a slice of heaven don't you! I sure wish you'd get more rain. We have had several nice rains but, we are still far below what's needed. I hate to see the critters suffer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherri. I really have a soft spot for the wild critters; too soft, really. Surely more rain will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing your wildlife there in the Ozarks. A bear broke into a neighbor's house last week - that might be a little too close for comfort!

    ReplyDelete