About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, September 8, 2012

Standing the Test of Time...



It would have been magnificent in the year of 1859, a vista of forests, meadows, and springs of cold and clear water.  It was the year that the land, which has been our home for almost forty years, was first taken as a homestead.  Native Americans, who once roamed the land where they hunted and fished and gathered berries, roots, and nuts, had been pushed out to live on reservations which opened up the land for homesteading. 





The old house with wooden shingled roof, which had been built after the land was homesteaded, was still standing when we bought the property.  Dan took the old house apart, board by board, each of virgin pine, which he later used to build a barn and a chicken coop.  The chicken coop has since been converted to a "feed house" where feed for the horses and dogs is stored.  Each day at feeding time, I can't help but admire the weathered boards, still so solid and strong.   Likewise is the door still solid and strong, which was once the front door of the old homesteader's home, and still standing the test of time.

The door on the right is the original door found in the old house.
 


Many of the old boards used in construction of the barn are well-preserved today.


3 comments:

  1. Can I be envious ?
    I want with a passion a small outbuilding
    one that looks old.
    Love it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outbuilding. You just don't find boards like that any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely has special meaning for us. I love it mainly because Dan wasn't much more than a boy when he built it and was so proud of his work. Thanks Ernestine and Sherri!

    ReplyDelete