About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Clicking and Stitching...



Fall has taken me by the hand and keeps leading me away from my work.  She keeps luring me, with my camera around my neck, to go here and there where I might get a closer look at a tree of gold or red on the mountainside...click, click!  Darkness comes earlier each day, so the daylight hours get away all too quickly.  I must hurry for there are other things waiting.  On the sewing table a robe for Father Christmas and a bag for him to carry are waiting to be stitched.

  I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand,
So what could I do but laugh and go?
 
~Richard Le Gallienne
 
                                    


This is the view just past our driveway heading north.



5 comments:

  1. Mary, I am so busy I haven't been able to enjoy much of this beautiful fall weather. I come here to see your wonderful photos as your scenerey is so close to mine. I would love to take a long slow walk in the woods, I think I must make the time. Love your poem. Your Father Christmas is beautiful, such a tease, will we see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, getting out and enjoying fall does me so much good. Hopefully, you can take a long slow walk before the leaves begin to fall. I will post more pictures when everything is finished...trying to make a tiny IW doll to fit in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little poem just says it all! We don't have this much color yet, and you be careful to not step on a copperhead snake among those copper colored leaves! I must be a person who sees the glass half empty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, thanks for the warning. With the days so warm, the critters are out and about for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I just want to sit outside and not move.
    Find myself continually grooming my garden.
    Love this weather...

    ReplyDelete