About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Garden Gate...



Something old for something new...









7 comments:

  1. Ernestine, without a fence the deer would leave us with nothing. Nell chases them away, but even she must sleep sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gate! Your garden looks like it's growing beautifully. You have probably had lots of rain too. I don't have much of a green thumb but I have planted a garden a few times. The deer, rabbits and racoons literally eat everything. A fence like that would certainly keep the critters out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, we had almost no rain in July so I put out a lot of water in the gardens. Dan said we could have bought more than I made for the cost of the water! The gate is an old one he built several years ago. He wants to build a new one and taller, but I like the old one. You are spoiling me with your visits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ~ I wish !! My raised bed is still in the form of one long board :) and the garden spot has been cut with the hay machine :( I've always wanted an old gate for my flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, the gate is a little creaky. Don't think it would keep a bear out. Don't old garden spots make the best hay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I the fact that you left it the way it was rather than painting it!

    ReplyDelete