About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, November 2, 2013

Celebrating Fall...


 A day or so ago, a friend on Facebook said, "I love the trees.  It looks like they are celebrating..." So, yesterday, we got out to celebrate with the trees, and to celebrate my birthday.  And, of course, one must eat out on her birthday...that is out in the middle of yonder mountain!





"Yet we must never forget that the land and the waters are ours for the moment only, that generations will follow who must themselves live from the land and drink that water..."





"I walk in the shoes of the men of today.  I fly their planes, I eat their food, but my heart is in the wilderness with feathers in my hair."



"When I look at those mountains, I see the centuries pass like seasons."




"It is an old custom of these people to pick up a stone and toss it on the pile.  Perhaps it is a symbolical lightening of the load they carry, perhaps a small offering to the gods of the trails."




"Everything fades with time, but the land stays there..."


"Now the mountain was stark and beautiful, a place for no man or animal, just for the clouds and eagles."



"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail."



~All quotes are from Louis L'Amour.






3 comments:

  1. As always your photos are so beautiful and the words so true. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty in picture and words. Thanks for sharing these photos from your side of the hill. My mother always told me, "November children are special".

    ReplyDelete