About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, December 19, 2013

Kindred Spirits...



Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think.  It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables



The Kindred Spirits sewing basket...



Christmas just can't get any better than this.  What a surprise!  A big box in the mail from The Other Side of the Hill (and it is a big hill, too).  After having sent pieces of wools and flannels from which I made clothes for the "U" doll, I was so surprised to find another box on my doorstep from my doll-making friend, Sarah.  There was no way I could wait until Christmas morning to open that big box!  And, oh the wonders inside...all old, of course.  A sewing basket (made by Sarah) filled with colorful skeins of DMC wool, pieces of cloth, and a precious little box tied with narrow ribbon which was filled with some rare old pieces just perfect for my next little Indian doll.  Any guesses as to what I will be working on in 2014?


The gift box 


The Kindred Spirits sewing basket opened...  

Inside the small box...I especially love this old card with a personal note from Sarah!

A pair of old doll moccasins and a beaded necklace...

One of my dolls dressed in fabrics from Sarah...

Such a wonderful old look and feel. Sarah has taught me to love the old...





 

10 comments:

  1. What a treat! She's a special friend indeed. Surprises are so much fun to get. I must say, doll makers are extraordinarily good people! You shall be very busy with all your goodies. Can't wait to see what you create. I replied to one of your comments via email. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, you are right about doll makers...generally so generous and sharing. I am going to take off a little time from doll making after Christmas...need to catch up on a few other things. I found your email address and wrote to you. It showed up in my sent box, so guess I got it right.

      Delete
  2. WOW !! Awesome gift!! Remember, you've got to make a prairie woman before the end of XYZ. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to have to help me plan this one. Will she need a bonnet?

      Delete
  3. Friendship makes the world go round....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you! What a wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid box! Having a friend like Sarah is a wonderful gift indeed. I love the "Kindred Spirits" basket and all the goodies tucked inside....especially those little moccasins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful present. You have a good and generous friend. Everything including the basket looks so good. Now you can't say you don't have any supplies. the little shoes are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift and friend.
    Have a wonderful Christmas
    filled with special memories
    and thank you
    for your special friendship

    ReplyDelete