About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Old Books...



The tree is up!  And decorated!  With snow and ice and cold having held on outside our door for almost a week, there really were no excuses for not having this job done.  So, here it is!  Now, if I could just get finished with this year's Father Christmas doll.  Could it be that on these cold days I enjoy, a little too much, sitting by the fire reading from some of my old books, such as these old Victoria magazines?








     Recently, I have been rereading the 1990 issues, and oh my, they are wonderful!  Who wouldn't be amazed at the beautiful gardens and embroidery of the fabulous Joanna Reed, who, for fifty years "turned her artist's eye to the view outside her window, embroidering a garden equally splendid in winter, spring, summer, and fall."  She first created four crewel curtain-panels for her living room, each one depicting the splendors of a different season. She said she learned to use "bigger, freer stitches, to embroider flowers directly from nature, to paint with thread."  Victoria magazine published a three part series on this magnificent woman and her works in the January, May, and October 1990 issues.

     Now, should I read "At Tasha Tudor's ~ A Peaceable Kingdom in the August issue, or work on the old Father Christmas doll?  We will see.....




8 comments:

  1. Maybe both? :~) Either way, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know those books,they sound interesting. Lovely tree. I only made small angels this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should read faster and make your father Christmas doll too. HaHa. Merry Christmas to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see more of the tree ~ please? Maybe it would put me in the Christmas spirit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wondered where chip- butter-white-oak came from. What a charming story and wonderful memory. I hear the whip-poor- wills here and hoot owls too. I love both sounds. I too have been spending time in front of the fire, it's a peaceful place to be, so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the slight glimpse of your tree ...it's beautiful I'm sure. Sitting by the fire and reading books....oh yes this sounds great! I miss my fireplace and the warm cozy feeling ....so enjoy the crackling fire and books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You write a beautiful blog. So glad you enjoy visiting Tanglewood Threads. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Tree. I too use to look at Victoria Magazine's; and enjoyed them. Enjoy your time. Will look forward to seeing your Christmas Doll when you complete it.

    ReplyDelete