About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, December 16, 2013

...when all through the house...


not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse......(love my Tasha Tudor illustrated book, The Night Before Christmas.)




Ximraan (which means celebration)


Ximraan and his compadres

Ximraan is the final one in this series of Father Christmas dolls.  (Lol...since when have I ever planned a series of anything?  Things just happen around here!)  I am not saying another Christmas doll won't show up; one might, but his hair and beard will definitely not be of curly Cotswold sheep's wool, although I do love the stuff.  It just seems like three of these wooly faces are enough...a finished set, I think. 

This clay over cloth doll is 13 1/2 inches tall and is able to stand alone because of an internal wire armature.  His coat is made from over-dyed wool, lined in a flannel print, and trimmed in sheep shearling.  Ximraan is definitely ready, along with his compadres,  Legend and Raphael, for a wild midnight's ride come Christmas eve.  "Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!"

7 comments:

  1. Splendid!! They're all so special, dressed in such wonderful coats. Perfect for that cold ride come Christmas Eve. It's wonderful, how different each face is! Can't wait to see X, Y, and Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are awesome!! I love their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Love all the cheerful faces and all that curly hair. You did excellent work on the dyed wool coats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Santa's. I love them all. their hair is just beautiful. You do such a wonderful job on the dolls clothes, those coats are so fine. they should stay warm on Christmas night. You inspire me to try to make a Santa next year yours are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, your dolls are such works of art and the detail you put in to them is down right fabulous. Have a wonderful Christmas dear friend, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. They make me feel like Christmas is in good hands!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such incredible work, Mary--such detail and texture. Love it.

    ReplyDelete