About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, January 13, 2014

Jeepin' in the Ozarks...



Eat, Sleep, and Jeep...  or so some say.  The Bossman and I haven't quite reached that point yet, but we do enjoy an occasional Sunday afternoon drive...Jeepin' of course.














On this trip, we parked the Jeep and hiked up a steep wooded hillside to reach my Great-Great-Great- Grandfather's grave.  I hadn't visited his grave since I was six or seven years old, and only had a vague remembrance of how to reach it.  His grave is the only marked grave in an old family burial plot, others having been marked with only field stones, which, if still there, have become buried with the passing of time.  According to the inscription on the tombstone, Great-Great-Great-Grandpa Henry was born December 10, 1824 and died January 27, 1884 when he was 59 yrs. 1 mo. 17 days old.  His epitaph reads, "Gone but not forgotten."

Records show that he fought in the Mexican-American War in 1846, and may have received a land grant for the lands where he lived and died, and where he now rests on a lonely hillside.  Part of that land has been passed down from generation to generation, our grandchildren being the eighth generation.  He later fought in the Civil War in which he was wounded and taken prisoner until his release in 1865.  "Gone but not forgotten"...No, I think not!


My Great-Great-Great-Grandparents




7 comments:

  1. How wonderful it must be to have so much family history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jan. I just love old grave stones, they have so much character and they tell such wonderful stories.
    Thank you for sharing and for taking us along on your(jeepin) trip,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful country to ride through. Your great great great grandfather's stone is a lot like the ones here in the Lockhart cemetery. I have taken pictures of lots of them and studied the names on the graves. things were so different then. The hillside seems lonely to you, but he doesn't know, he is asleep in the arms of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much history in one family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful family history. He must have been highly revered to have such a beautiful stone monument. I enjoyed this post, and it looks so much like where we live. Aren't we lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chip Butter, thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and leaving such a nice comment. What a delightful nick name and what a sweet story. I come from a family of "leg pullers" myself and sometimes I never quite know, whether what they have told me is true or not. Some of their tall tales were very plain to see and others were more subtle (meaning I have fallen for them hook line and sinker). But, as I have learned, and I think it is what they wanted me to learn: is that true or not, it's the telling of the"tale" that is the thing. :)

    Your dolls are lovely, with such beautiful and expressive faces, especially the eyes. You are very talented. I live in the Low Country of Georgia which is a very flat area surrounded by beautiful woods filled with pine trees, oaks and palmetto, not too far from the sea, near many small creeks, rivers and inlets. I am so happy you found your grandpa's monument. How wonderful that it still survives and that you can go see it. It was so nice to meet you and I look forward to reading your beautiful blog in the days to come! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved taking the ride with you :)
    Such beauty to view with the eyes.
    Lucky you and that partner...

    ReplyDelete