About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Think Spring...






Cattle lined up eating hay seem to be part of the landscape these days.


Yesterday, a friend in cold and snowy Iowa sent me a list of things to consider as we await spring.  I put on my thinking cap, but am afraid I can't do quite as well as she.

     ~ I agree with her that the daylight is noticeably more than a month ago, especially in the evening.  I checked the almanac and found out that we have gained 20 minutes of daylight in the evening since Jan. 1, but only 3 minutes in the morning.  No wonder I am still a sleepy head.

     ~She also says, "When it's cold, there is really no point of thinking about doing outside chores (of course we do have cattle and other animals that must be fed and cared for), so it's a good excuse to work on indoor projects that don't get done the rest of the year."  So, now I am wondering why I haven't gotten more of those projects finished!

     ~My friend's little dog, Peanut, wears long underwear under her coat when she goes out walking and the wind chill is minus 20 degrees.  Now, that is cold! Neither Nell nor I wear long underwear when we are out and about.  However, tomorrow I may reconsider.

     ~And, there's another that we both definitely agree on...Neither of us would want to be living in North Dakota!  (Take care dear son of mine!)



The not so far blue mountains of winter...


Going to get more hay...

As we wait for spring, what do you like to think about and plan for?  Or are you still enjoying the slower and colder days of winter?





9 comments:

  1. Brrr-rr !! I'm not really thinking of spring yet ~ there's still February you know. With little chickens on the farm I'm thinking of propane prices already way above $2.00/gallon! I don't know if the cold days of winter have anything to do with the speed of my sewing/quilting, but I do seem to be awfully slow.

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. I was ready for spring Dec. 26th! Those views are so beautiful (love the lighting on the mountains) Makes me feel like running through that field! ...'Course I'd probably trip over my own two feet and go tumbling down that hill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, Mary dear. I can't wait to not have every muscle in my body clenching against the cold. I adore the idea of wearing a t shirt without a coat. And the smell of mud! Glorious mud season. The first little snowdrops and the little blue flowered bulbs that bloom before anything.....ah, heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photographs. I have to say I live in North Dakota. It is all white here and dangerous at times to spend too much time outside. Thankful to find things to do indoors right now. I notice the daylight staying out a little bit longer now too! I will definitely "think Spring". :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking Spring
    and what new plants can be planted in my garden.
    Of couras
    the body
    cannot keep up with the mind.
    But
    who knows
    maybe the energy will return in the Spring
    full force.
    If not
    still like my active imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, I love the blue mountains,they have tints of violet in them and my first thought was purple mountains majesty. It is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    I am dreaming of the day when I can walk in our fields again. Right now they are covered in snow and ice with the temps mainly in the single digits and below zero. We live in the valley so we also have the added pleasure of much wind. I can wait to see grass even if it's brown.
    As for all the projects I had planned to work this winter , they're still waiting. May be in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post. I also loved reading your header about your grandparemts and the whiporwill. So sweet. It has been very cold here in Texas as well, although we have sunny days. Hope this finds you and your son in North Dakota keeping warm. I am looking forward to planting flowers this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you by way of Julie...
    What a beautiful place you live in.
    I enjoyed the post of your great great grandfather's final resting place. I often visit my ancestors and am very lucky that several are buried on their original King George IV's original land grants dating back to the very early 1800's.
    Spring is only a heartbeat away. It is the anticipation that keeps us going during these cold, snowy days.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying staying in by the fire, but it's always nice to see the seasons change. Our daughter is in in Russia with her dance partner. The temp. there is minus 1 in the day, and 100% humidity........................that's cold!

    ReplyDelete