About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, February 3, 2014

February



And, then there was February.  This second month of the new year has already rolled up her sleeves and gone to work with her wintry ways.  "They" say she has more planned for this week - two more winter storms.  Now, I don't want to offend her in any way, but it seemed to me that yesterday's storm was a bit weaker here than expected.  Perhaps, it was only a tease for what she has planned next (fingers crossed that that's not the case), but, nonetheless, she surely did dress up a drab winter day, if only for a little while.




The little rock garden dressed in white.


Bare branches all prettied up. 



Cedars and pines, always beautiful dusted in snow. 





12 comments:

  1. My eye was drawn to the repeating line of red fence posts, and the red echoed in the leaves that have yet to fall...lovely photos, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Some oaks don't lose their leaves until the winds of March blow them away. I am ready for some new photo opportunities...fresh green leaves, or maybe a new doll or two.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures, although they do make me cold. :) I'm almost to the point of complaining about all this winter weather. I wonder if Hagarville Hank made any predictions about the arrival of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He predicted an early spring; didn't see his shadow. But, he also predicted Denver would win the Super Bowl! Hank may have lived too much of a sheltered life.

      Delete
  3. We got more here than had been predicted. Hopefully, the rest of this week won't be too bad. I am enjoying sitting by the fire, however I need to be doing more sewing and less movie watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the storm went farther north than first predicted...good for us, not so good for you. If we don't get warmer weather soon, I think we shall have to douse the fire so we can get some work done!

      Delete
  4. Love your photos
    We are all weary of this weather
    but Spring has to be on the way.
    Thank you always
    for your kind words
    when you visit
    this one :)_

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernestine, thanks for stopping by. We had freezing rain again today, but I still think spring is right around the corner.

      Delete
  5. Hi Chip Butter, what lovely pictures! We were suppose to get snow last week, but although it was very cold we didn't get the storm they predicted. I would love to see some snow: the happy playful snowball fight, winter wonderland kind, not the messy, slushy road are closed snow. :) I hope you have a cozy evening. Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly the kind of snow you are wishing for...here for a day and gone by the morrow. I am sure you have knitted just the perfect scarf and mittens for the occasion! Hope you have a great February, with or without snow!

      Delete
  6. Hi Mary,I love the little rock garden dressed in white. If it were not for the cold, it actually looks inviting. And the landescapes are just incredibly beautiful.
    When I first came over to this blog and started reading it the only thoughts going through my head was a kindred spirit. I still feel that way.
    Happy February my Kindred friend,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I am already thinking about digging in the dirt. We often have daffodils peeking out of the ground by now. It has been such a cold winter that I am wondering which plants have survived and which have not. I hope you are enjoying a nice evening by the fire!

      Delete