About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, February 13, 2014

It is a small world...




 
Picture taken by our son who works in North Dakota



It really is a small world these days because of our phones, the iPhone and others.  In just a moment I can see what my son is seeing in faraway places.  I thought today's picture was worth sharing.  Somewhere on the plains of North Dakota there is an old barn, weather worn and ravaged by time... 







 

7 comments:

  1. Mary it really is a small world anymore with all the fancy gadgets we have, and what a treat to be able to share this with your son.

    I wonder how old that old barn really is, it actually looks a little lonely in the middle of nowhere land. Shhh, I think it has a story or two to tell.giggle giggle giggle.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes
    it is.
    Image this morning from daughter in Colorado - of all things sking :(
    and a son in Thailand
    also granddaughter
    in New York.
    This one
    does not want to go anywhere
    but to the grocery :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the old barns and buildings such as the one you shared today. In my heart; I wish someone would fix them and make them better! And I wonder what stories they have to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's my house! Haha. It is amazing isn't it? When I had a kid in England, one in Japan, and the other two on opposite sides of the states, it always amazed me at how close we could manage to be in spite of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photo. I can imagine it belonged to homesteaders that traveled the plains looking for the promised land...
    My daughter lives thousands of miles away too in Calgary Alberta. She went there to work 4 years ago and never looked back.
    Enjoy your Valentin's Day.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo. He comes by that talent naturally. It's a small world indeed, Our daughter just came back from 3 weeks in Russia & we were doing the skyping live video computer thing. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete