About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, February 24, 2014

New Beginnings...






Twiggy has her new little Twig, and it is a girl!




The crocuses are blooming...
 

And a few jonquils, too...






10 comments:

  1. Beautiful little calf and flowers. Looks like the baby has plenty of supper waiting for it! Hope the flowers don't get covered in snow this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. spring is coming for you, autumn for us, love the calf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are beautiful and you're so fortunate. Its in the teens here this morning and mine are still covered with a foot of snow but soon.
    Twig is a miracle of life and I'll bet Mamma did a great job. Is that a tiny patch of white I see in the middle of her forehead?
    Enjoy the beauty...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooooh, crocuses!!! We still have a foot of snow, but I know the crocuses are under there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news on baby Twig! The Flowers are such a pretty picture! Although we are not seeing spots of color here just yet; the daylight hours are much longer and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice new little cow. Mama looks proud. Pretty flowers too. Hope everything will be changing soon and spring is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet baby calf! Pretty blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers and such a sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet beginnings for sure. It was cold and windy in Kansas City & I come home to a snow & ice storm!!! I'm snuggled up to the fire stitching some pantaloons. I will be glad when spring comes. Hope you didn't get this stuff.

    ReplyDelete