About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, March 7, 2014

In the history books...



It is with much pleasure that I am officially putting this winter in the so-called history books.  With blue, blue skies and an abundance of sunshine for a couple of days, most of the icy-snowy mixture, which came calling a week ago with plans to stay awhile, is now hiding away in secret shady places.

I am going on with spring-time plans...pruning, planting, piling and plodding about.  Hummingbird feeders are going up on the fifteenth, just in case...   










9 comments:

  1. Hopefully you're right! We'll see .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep hoping here... still over a foot of snow on the ground.
    But with the changing of the clocks tomorrow night, I'm sure Spring is on its way. The little sparrows have chosen their bird houses and I noticed a female goldfinch at the feeder today...
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about gone here too, hopefully it's the last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery. It is very pretty there. I hope you are right and spring is well on it's way. I'm tired of being cold and warmer weather will help my old bones. The doggies are able to get out in the yard right now. Our days are starting to be 50's , 60's and some 70's and we are breathing a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a postcard, Mary. Absolutely idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beautiful color. It's as if the lovely autumn colors were frozen by winter and uncovered by spring! Fall frozen in time....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am right there with you.
    Working outside one day
    next day it is freezing
    but I am carrying on.
    Love your images
    beautiful where you live :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are also yo yo-ing back and forth. Keep those plans going.........it wont be long until you can do it all. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such breath taking photos! Hope it warms up soon for you to carry out those plans!

    ReplyDelete