About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Blackberry Winter in the Ozarks...






 
The old green winter coat, the wool one that I reach for on cold winter days, is back, hanging on the coat hook by the back door.  There's a fire burning in the wood heating stove, and hot cocoa is heating in the teapot.  You may have guessed, it is Blackberry Winter in the Ozarks.  It always happens.  Every year the weather turns cold when the blackberries are blooming.  This year, it is later than usual, but then, everything has been later than usual.  It was a long winter.




Along with the blackberries, the honeysuckles are blooming too.  Oh, the sweetness of them!  I can never resist a little sip.  And, no doubt, I was not the first to do so, for when the honeysuckles bloom, the hummingbirds all but abandon the feeders to feast in the delight of these fragrant flowers.  It is no mystery where the little hummers go for it happens every year at this time.




The streams of water and the ponds are full to overflowing from recent rains.  What a blessing  water from the sky is.  When out doing chores earlier with The Boss man, of course, we drove past the upper pond admiring the fullness of it, when up from the north end there was a flapping of wings...Darn, the great blue heron!  And, I wasn't even ready, wasn't even thinking about him, really.  I aimed my camera, almost too late, but got a glimpse of him disappearing into the dark rain clouds overhead.  I am taking notes...Great Blue Heron still here on this date.  Will they go north?  And if they do, when will they go?





Some of the animals here in the Ozarks love being out on a rainy day, and some do not.  Newest Kitty does not.  She does not like to get her feet wet.  When she came to meet me today at feeding time, she raised first one foot and them another in such a sweet feminine little way.  She lives in the horse barn. A small feed room there, where she has a dry bed of hay, is a wonderful home for a kitty.  She seems to be contented living there, yet, I tell her that someday I might take her home with me to live in the sewing room where her feet would never get wet again.  But, The Boss man tells me that it is meant that cats should live in barns. 







6 comments:

  1. You always have such beautiful pictures! And yes, we have fire in the wood furnace and winter jackets hanging by the door.
    The newest kitty is so pretty! You know what you told me about bringing my kitty inside ~ The Bossman probably would learn to love her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beautiful kittie, I would smuggle her into that sewing room at least for a daily visit.
    One year when I visited Gettysburg and walked about the battlefield I was overwhelmed by the size of the site but what really lingered with me was the scent of the honeysuckle that grew along the fences and the roadside. It was absolutely intoxicating...
    It is raining here, has been now for several days making everything so green and lush.
    Do you make jam with those yummy blackberries?
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have described an Ozark spring to perfection. The first time I heard that expression was from my Grandfather who warned me to be watchful of a "Blackberry Storm", when I was going blackberry pickin'. Fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An errand and someone mentioned "Blackberry Winter." Jacket on and 50 degrees and oh how I wish I still had my wood stove of years ago. Have thoughts of enclosing side screen porch and having a small wood stove. But guess I do not need to tackle the wood
    situation anymore. Did it years ago and loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful pictures as usual. I guess black berry winter is sort of like Indian summer, except one is for longer cold days and one for longer hot days. The cat is a beauty and she will help you in lots of ways as well as being a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I would love a kitty in my sewing room as well. But, I have a husband and son's who are allergic. No cats for me at all. Glad kitty has a nice warm place to call home.

    ReplyDelete