About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Little Britches by Ralph Moody...





As I have said before, I think our family's love of the old west is because of my husband's early life as "Little Britches." Having lost his father when he was four, he and his three sisters were brought up by a single mother. However, he spent much of those early years with his grandparents who lived on a cattle ranch where he learned to ride horses and herd cattle. When Hubby and I married, and he gathered up his few personal belongings, there were two old worn and tattered books among his things. These books were Little Britches and Man of the Family by Ralph Moody, copyright 1950. When I read those books, not only did I have a better understanding of the young man I had married, but I found a new love...the old west.

"This warm and engaging story of a boy and his father, of the wonderful relationship between them, of the adventures and wise counsel that were part of the lad's growing up, is a true story which reads like a novel.

When the author was in knee-pants, the family moved to Colorado for the sake of Father's health. The West was still pretty wild in those days, and it wasn't easy to make adjustments to a new and harder way of life. But Mother was a valiant woman and a remarkable manager, and Father- well, Father, with his understanding, his courage, his diligence, his unwavering honesty, was a guide and an example and inspiration to all of them.

The family was a close and happy one, but there was a special closeness, a special love between Father and Ralph, his eldest son. Ralph's many exciting experiences - as he learned to ride, broke his very own colt, made friends with a genuine Indian, and achieved his own glorious triumph at the rodeo - taught him many things. It was from Father, however, that he learned most - about self-reliance, patience, and the meaning of real character."














 

8 comments:

  1. I must admit I have never read or even heard of these books. I hope they are in reprint. They sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books sound like a good read. Love how they have touched your life in a special way. Your title caught my eye...my husband calls our little grand-daughter "Little Britches"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that story. I will look for these books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your commentary of the books and the story of your husband's life as a child are special. Yes, a wonderful father that teaches self-reliance, patience, and the meaning of real character is truly a great father. Sounds like your husband had a good mother and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you shared about these books
    and understanding your special one better.
    He had a special mother and grandmother
    and now has a special
    wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Britches was one of my favorite books when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Little Britches. They look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of these books, but they look like they are truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete