About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It's Summer Vacation...




but Chip Butter School is in session...


The children are seated...

The books are open...


Teacher is impressed...

No caps allowed...


Praise for a job well done...





8 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! Looks like she is so absorbed with your beautiful folk art dolls. I like how the dolls are supported using the lovely bookends. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much. So wonderful that you let her play with them. The book ends are a great way to hold them upright. Great photo memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a little girls "memory maker" for sure. Very sweet. I've got the book on my list of "need to get". It looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The teacher is darling. I wonder what she was really thinking with all those little faces looking up at her.
    Happy 4th of July! We had our Canada Day on Tuesday so both days are worthy of celebration...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this post until now? You have a natural born teacher there! I still remember playing with a set of pastel colored stuffed cats at my Granny's in Vernon TX...I might have been 6 or 8 yrs old. This little girl will have even better memories of these dolls, in that each is so unique and full of personality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering also, how did I miss this one? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just found your blog and love your beautful dolls and lovely country home. This post is precious!

    ReplyDelete