About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, September 12, 2014

Summer 2014...




Not until I pulled on an extra sleeve this cool morning, did I want to admit that we will soon be bidding farewell to these wonderous days of summer.  Unlike many summers this late into the season, which look quite ragged and tired by this time, this one still looks wonderfully fresh and almost new.  She has been a beauty, and one that deserves at least honorable mention as far as summers go.  Unlike the summer of 2012 which was reminicent of Dust Bowl Days, we have been blessed with ample amounts of rainfall throughout the summer.  So, Oh Summer of 2014, here's a little tribute to you.

                                                                .....Some of my favorite shots taken at favorite spots......








14 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr......it was chilly this morning. Hate to see this wonderful summer end. I am not looking forward to winter!
    Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, we can always sit by a warm fire and stitch, right?

      Delete
  2. You've described our summer perfectly! The cooler weather is nice but puts a dread of cold winter in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this winter will be a mild one, with no ice storms.

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking about summer's passing last night while I was picking the last of the peas and listening to the crickets. It always makes me sad to see summer go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel a little sad to see summer go, too. Late peas and crickets...signs of fall for sure.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little farther north than you and it was quite cool yesterday morn, but the brisk air was enjoyable as I hung my laundry on the line to dance in the breeze.
    Your pics are wonderful and everything is still so lush. Eventually those paths will adopt their colours of yellow, orange and crimson and I know you will still enjoy every moment as you walk along them with the leaves rustling beneath your feet...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is actually my favorite time of year, and I look forward to the yellows, oranges and crimsons along the paths. You will walk through rustling leaves before I do, for sure.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny how one's location can alter perspective? If I lived in a lovely shady place like that, I'd be sad to see summer go as well. But here we are rejoicing that cooler temperatures are FINALLY beginning to arrive--it's only 65 this morning! The months of June, July, and August are something to endure here, from my perspective, and the glorious stretch from September to May are what makes it all worth it. :~)

    Enjoy your Autumn, though...because with all those trees, I'd bet she will provide a lovely display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our summers are sometimes quite hot too, but this summer, temps never reached 100 degrees...thankfully! I also enjoy cooler days, but am not looking forward to the cold winds of winter.

      Delete
  6. Your photos are truly splendid and like you I agree that this summer was wonderful especially where I live...Ohio. Your walks take you to beautiful scenes and I can just imagine walking down that road with all those trees. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even here in Texas, where it is usually hot this time of year, it has been damp and cool. I love this kind of weather, but it also makes me dread the winter frozen roads that my family has to drive on to get back and forth. Such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures. It is really pretty there. I know you have enjoyed your summer and the Fall should be beautiful too. Fall is my favorite time of year, but I do hate to see the warm weather go.

    ReplyDelete