About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, October 13, 2014

Rainy Day...



There have been three of them, one after the other...rainy days that is, and I have loved them all...soothes the soul, I think.  It was a wet and cool walk over the trail today... first day for the old green coat since last spring.  I almost skipped the walk today, but oh what I would have missed!
 
 
 
Webs and Water...

A bit of color at the pond
 
Twins...
 
Fence along the trail (which was finished a few weeks back)...
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. It is easy to see your love of this place and nature. You are blessed and doubly blessed to appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beautiful photos make me smile. I love the leaf covered trail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three days of rainy weather & this morning it's cool and hazy. I think fall is upon us. The trees should start to turn rapidly now & I hope it's a colorful show this year. Beautiful twins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! And, it's wonderful to see both calves with their mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you didn't miss that walk. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have long past memories of such days and places. Thank you for bringing them back to me. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure my post went through to you. So if I am doubling up, forgive me. I have been thinking about you all week, so I came to walk down your trail for a bit. The coffee is brewing, I will make some bread, jump in the car and drive over the hill. It is raining on the other side as well so bring your galoshes.

    ReplyDelete