About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Autumn's Chill....



There's been a deep chill hanging over our neck of the woods this week, and even a bit of snow... just enough to dust the branches of the gnarly old oaks that are still heavily clad in masses of beautiful golden leaves.
  






It seems a booklet with the title, Four Strong Winds, should surely have at least one map.  I do, in fact, have somewhat of an obsession with maps, so why not stitch one?  Right?  Well, it is proving to be a bit challenging, for all the lettering on this little cloth map will be less than a quarter of an inch in height, and there are many little words yet to be stitched! 

      



And finally, look what friend Dixie Redmond did with the junk that was stored in the Indian cave I wrote about here.  It is gone! Yay!  Thanks to an app. Touch Retouch in which unwanted stuff in photos can be removed.  Oh, if only it could be so easy to be rid of unwanted things in our lives...




7 comments:

  1. Can you believe this ~ we didn't get the snow! only a smidgen on the hay bales.
    Your tiny words are awesome!
    The colors inside the cave make it look like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I've been thinking that decluttering is a form of Touch Retouch. how do you fill a bucket....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are tiny words indeed, the map is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubs has an obsession with maps, too. Love your embroidered one! I find that using one ply of embroidery thread helps, but you may already be doing that. :~) Tiny lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would imagine that stitching the map would make it easier to remember it in one's thoughts.
    We've had quite a bit of snow here, enough to cover the ground. Not as much as south Buffalo NY but I'm only 50 miles from there.
    Beautiful scenery in your neck of the woods...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing detail it will be on your fine dyed fabric. Love the gnarly oak trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the map is very good. I can read the words very easy and its pretty too. The cave is beautiful in its colors and its quiet place.

    ReplyDelete