About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, November 5, 2014

If These Walls Could Talk...






This is the oh, so lovely place I chose to eat "out" for my recent birthday celebration. The weather was perfect, the food was delicious, and the company was good.

After lunch, we went exploring and ended up at an Indian cave nearby, where several years ago archaeological excavations unearthed ancient artifacts, including one skeletal remains of a young woman.  These artifacts are on display at a state university museum - a place on my want-to-visit list. 
 




Even though I had visited this cave before, I had never been inside it, and was amazed to find it so large and spacious.  And, the colors in the rock walls and ceiling all around and above are so, so beautiful.  Those long-ago inhabitants must have felt they had a bonanza here.  If only these walls could talk... 
 
 


The cave is on private property, and the owners seem to be using it for storage.  I would like to Photoshop those things right out of the picture!



My wanderers of The Four Strong Winds are ready to move on to a new place and to a new page.  I almost threw this page into the scrap box, since my original intention was to dress these people in colorful trade blankets. (Those will come along directly.)  But, these good people really wanted to stay in their little book and go on with their story.  I agreed, so now they are dressed in furs and hides just as the bluff dwellers might have been who once made this cave their home. 


 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. What a love site in which to find a ready-made home. I'm sure your wanderers had several favorite wraps and blankets, depending on the event--might be hard to hunt in a brightly woven blanket! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Ha! I can hardly get from my chair to the sofa with my coverlet wrapped around me. Maybe they ate a lot of berries and fish.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday to you and such a lovely picturesque setting for your celebration. Awesome cave & stunning colors, I can see why it would have been chosen. The stitching is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri! We have so much fun when we can get out and about in our side-by-side. I think my "Old Indian" enjoyed my birthday more than I did!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This place is huge! And so colorful! But why on earth would anyone want to put modern stuff inside such a beautiful, natural setting!
    I guess I'm behind on the "book"; I don't think all of your posts have come into my dashboard. The stitching is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thoughts about the modern stuff, but it did help provide a better perspective on the size of the place. I am really getting stuck on this stitching thing, and keep remembering your motto..."No day is complete until needle thread and cloth meet..."

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Mary. the cave is very pretty. Your stitched people are very fine. I will like to see how you put it all together

    ReplyDelete