About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Muslin and Falling Leaves...





 
 
Muslin + falling leaves = new cloth and lots of surprises, some welcome and some not.  The cloth on the left came out of a pot of black walnut dye.  I was expecting it to look like the cloth I dyed a couple of years ago and used for making Willow's dress. 
 
 
 
Willow dressed in walnut-dyed linen
 
 
 
   

The cloth I am using for this little book is sacking, flour or feed, I am not sure which.  The markings on it are from my very first experiment with eco-dying, soon after I bought my first India Flint book on the subject.

I am ready to turn the page on this little book.  Three buffaloes are enough! 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. pretty buffaloes. You will have a great book. I think you are very inventive using natural things to dye and stain your cloth. You certainly can't get cloth like this in a store. very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I have had it in mind that I might dress all of my dolls in naturally dyed cloth, but I have much to learn. Stitching, I think, is like painting in that every stitch with a needle, or every stroke with a brush is another little lesson learned.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, the cloth is beautiful. It makes your work extra special and unique. It was a good year for walnuts. We have a tree close to the yard and I keep thinking I should gather some for dye, but then I think of the squirrels! Of course, buffaloes are a perfect subject. Can't wait to see what you will do in the future. It's turned very cold here, yuk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cold night here too. Someone put too much wood in the stove in the front room and I have been chased out by the heat. I enjoyed stitching the buffaloes but couldn't have done them, I think, without your little wax cabin!

      Delete
  3. I think all the dyed fabric looks great. The one that really caught my eye was the one on the far right. It reminds me of snow tipped trees in a forest....beautiful. I'm sure you'll find just the right page and/or garment for them.

    ReplyDelete