About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, November 1, 2014

"The Happiest Day of the Year..."



"It's my birthday. The happiest day of the year.  Can't you see?  Look at all the presents I have had.  Look at the birthday cake.  Candles and pink sugar.  Can't you see them?"

                                                           ~A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh

Of course, we know that there really was no cake, or candles and pink sugar, and no presents at all for poor, miserable little Eeyore.  But, in the end, it didn't take much to make Eeyore's birthday a happy one.  Perhaps, it was just the "no proper notice" taken of him that mattered most. 

Well, there doesn't seem to be any presents or cakes, or candles and pink sugar around here either, but it would be next to impossible for one to have a miserable birthday on a day like today when the meadows, the ditches, the fences, the mountain sides, the trees, the gardens, and really the whole glorious valley, are all kindled with the fires of autumn.  It really is "The Happiest Day of the Year."




 
And, a little stitching makes it even better.  It seems to me that there may be two different stories emerging here...two little books instead of one.   
 
 
 






4 comments:

  1. The colors of autumn are shining around here too, I don't think it's going to be as pretty as last year, the leaves just seem to be turning brown and falling off. Of course, it's still my favorite time of the year. The stitching is coming along nicely. The colors are beautiful. It reminds me of the Snookum dolls you did a post on once. I see one once in a while when I'm out and about & I always think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes
    such beauty surrounding me
    as I look out the windows, am outside
    and driving down the road.
    I say over and over
    "Lord your world is so beautiful"
    and a question
    "is it your birthday"
    and if it is
    "Happy Birthday to you"
    and if not
    Love your post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing your finished book, Mary. The colors that surround you are reflected in your work...

    ReplyDelete