About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Four Strong Winds...




Four Strong Winds that blow lonely, Seven seas that run high,
All these things don't change, Come what may...  
                                                                                ~ Ian Tyson


 


Doeskin on eco-print cloth

 



The time of Four Strong Winds  was before the horse on the vast great plains of "America."  It was long before there were sparkling glass beads and colorful trade blankets.  There was just the land, the waters, and the Four Strong Winds...

Weather on the plains was unpredictable and often dangerous for the Plains inhabitants.  Summer brought violent thunderstorms and tornadoes; winter, fierce blizzards blew in from the north and with it immense snowfall.  At other times, searing gale-strength winds raged out of the south to wither the grass and threaten every growing thing. 

But, it was the buffalo that was key to life on the plains.  Gigantic herds roamed the vast range, matching the immensity of land and sky.  In the words of the 19th century zoologist William T. Hornaday:  "It would have been as easy to count the number of leaves in a forest as to calculate the number of buffaloes living at any given time previous to 1890."
Eco print on the cloth provided realistic looking smoke rising from the largest teepee.  Can you see the wee one on the young woman's back? 
 

The tribes...
 

The species, Bison bison...
 




 
 

9 comments:

  1. What can I say....beautiful from front to back. I want touch it. Yes, I see the papoose & the head on the back page, that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the feel of little cloth books. This one is small, only 4 x 6 inches. Before I make another, I will go back and study your tutorials on making a cloth book. I am sure the little ones for whom you made these little books are loving them still.

      Delete
  2. All your hard work has paid off in a wonderful little book! You're quite knowledgeable about all this. Do you plan another one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I make another little booklet, it will be filled with lots of color. I have too many projects!

      Delete
  3. Love your book you have made with special cloth and your hand stitches. Such a treasure. And so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work! It's so touchable and how interesting! It says so much. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful work on the book. So antique looking. The stitching is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete