About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, December 28, 2014

Jeepin' Along on a Rainy Day...






Yesterday, the Old Cowboy and I were jeepin' along on a rainy day, only a couple of miles from home, when...Whoa!  There they were!  For just a moment, I imagined I might be somewhere along the Upper Missouri River in Central Montana.  But, no, I had seen these creatures here before, for they belong to a friend and neighbor just down the road, but they never fail to excite me.  Through them, I see an image of the old west, and of what attracts us to that old West of yesteryear.






                                                           


Jeepin' along...
 
 
 




8 comments:

  1. Can you imagine at one time there were hundreds of thousands of them that roamed free across the plains stretching from the southwest all the way to the north in Canada. There are still some small herds here that are wild in Alberta. They are magnificent beasts.
    We have some that are farmed not far from here that love to stand on the hillside and meander down to the fence to watch the cars go by. I often wonder what they're thinking.
    Have a Happy New Year and the best for 2015.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they were so close. Much more appealing than exotic animals! Great pictures of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love seeing Buffalo. They sometimes look like you could go up to them and pet them. But, I am reminded not to do that. What a nice day trip for you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate that I get to see these magnificent animals every day as I drive to work. It never ceases to thrill me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are a sight to see. A good trip in the jeep and then a look at these fine fellows. Thanks for putting up their pictures,

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great it is to have something like that so close...a sight you never get tired of. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! I wanna go jeepin where you go jeepin!! (I guess I would need a jeep) But if I had one that is right where I'd wanna go!!
    Those Bison are ever beautious!!! Lovely pictures!! Thanks for sharing!! :-)
    Happy New Year! Many Blessings and warmth, Linnie

    ReplyDelete