About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Last Reflections of 2014...



 
Grab a coat, a long one with a hood preferably, and come walk the trail with me.  The day is rather cold, so I have pulled on an old baggy pair of sweats over my jeans for a double layer.  I always carry my walking stick, and usually my camera, for it is almost  a sure thing if I leave it home, there's a nice shot just waiting to be had.

 



The pond usually offers opportunity for an interesting photo or two, but today it seemed vacated except for a cow that had come down to the opposite shore for water.  Wild ducks, geese and great blue herons are normally on the ponds at this time of year, but not today.  It was here almost a year ago that I finally captured, in photo, the great blue heron.  I named the photo, "Were You Too Cold to Fly?"  which seemed appropriate since I had spent well over a year stalking this fine gent (or lady) only to watch him fly away.  Looking back over my photos taken this past year, it seemed  to me that this one definitely deserved to win the Chip Butter Award for this year's best.


Were You Too Cold to Fly?


So, having chosen a "This Year's Best," it seemed I should also choose a second and a third place winner. It wasn't hard to choose the second.  It just had to be a photo of Zeke, this year's Father Christmas doll.  It was four long years ago that I made my first cloth and clay doll whose name began with the letter A.  Feeling quite proud of myself, I told the whole wide world that I was going to make a doll for every letter of the alphabet.  I don't think I ever believed that I actually would, but twenty-six dolls later, here is Zeke.


Zeke


The third runner-up proved to be the hardest.  I finally selected a picture of the pond taken today, appropriately named "Last Reflections of 2014."


My old calendar is almost filled now; 365 little squares marked and scribbled on. As always, I am excited to be starting a new calendar and a new year, and hope you are too.

Thanks for coming along on what may be this year's last walk along The Chip Butter Trail.  Best wishes to you all for a Happy Happy New Year!


Last Reflections of 2014

11 comments:

  1. Simply breath taking indeed! Your photography skills and choices of photos to share are a delight and you filled many of my days with wonder along "The Chip Butter Trail". I'm glad Father Christmas Zeke was among your runner up photos. He is an amazing doll and to finish the "Z" named doll before 2015 arrives is a great accomplishment.

    The Blue Heron is stunning. I love your "Last Reflections" photo and it is eye candy for me. The pond seems perfectly still and quiet reflecting it's beauty.

    Thank-you for all the lovely photos you shared during 2014 and best wishes for a Happy New Year in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Zeke! I always love to stop by here and look at your beautiful photos! Wishing you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last Reflections of 2014 says it all! Thank you for sharing. I could look at that photo for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always your photos are so special, I enjoy each and every one. Last reflections for 2014 is truly an amazing shot! Can't believe the year is almost over. Quite a feat to make all 26 dolls.....so what's the new project???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand with all the others....I enjoy your photography. You capture the magic of the moment. Thank you too for sharing your creations with us. Love so much seeing what you have to share. One year ending and a new one to look forward to. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the pictures are so pretty. A good walk in woods and along the pond would do a person a lot of good every day. thanks for taking us with you. Happy new year and happy creating for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices for the awards! You know how I love working jigsaw puzzles; Last Reflections would be a perfect picture for a 1000 piece puzzle! I still think you should print a calendar with your photos featured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Mary! Zeke is wonderful and your photos have captured the beauty of nature perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from the windy state of Texas, that last photo seems to me a miracle of stillness in reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This image is a winner - cannot sit still long enough for puzzles like Charlotte :)
    I miss walking in the woods
    but being careful not to fall.
    When someone is visiting I love to visit the old paths, trees and in the Spring see what I spot that might be new.
    Thank you for your online friendship and may 2015 continue to be kind to you.
    My 2014 calendar is full also and will tuck away and visit often for information I jot down..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zeke is awesome!. . . The reflections on the pond are beautiful. . but I had to laugh out loud at the poor blue heron! I know exactly how he feels! I've felt a "little too cold to fly" myself lately!

    ReplyDelete