About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, January 10, 2015

On Creativity...










"A Life's work is always unfinished and requires creativity till the day a person dies.  Even if you've managed major accomplishments throughout your life and don't really need a model for making a mark, you do need one for enriching an ongoing existence."

     ~Molly Peacock, The Paper Garden: Mrs. Delany Begins her Life's Work at 72

                                                                             
Mary Delany (1700 - 1788) was an English Bluestocking, artist, letter-writer, and avid gardener, who was also talented at needlework, drawing, painting, and cutting paper, but she was best known for her paper cutting.  In 1771 in her early 70s, as a way of dealing with grief, Mary began to create cut-out paper art works which were exceptionally detailed and botanically accurate depictions of plants. She created 1700 of these works calling them her "Paper Mosaiks" from the age of 71 to 88, when her eyesight failed her.

Some time ago, I had jotted down these notes on a journal page, which has become somewhat of a habit, or pleasure, when I run across something that catches my interest.  What an inspiring story!    Molly Peacock's The Paper Garden is, for certain, on the Chip Butter reading list for 2015...  Not that I plan to cut paper!



                                                                 

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful quote & so true. I would be lost without my little creative projects. I've never heard of Mary Delany so I look her up. Amazing that she created such intricate paper cuttings at the age of 72! An inspiration indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand the being lost without little creative projects. I sometimes think about clearing out my messes, but then what?

      Delete
  2. How true. We must all continue to work on " enriching an ongoing existence". I look forward to reading up on Mary Delany. I've had the good fortune of working with some amazing people, 70 to 100 years old. Some, too, have dedicate themselves to accomplishing simple to amazing life's work. I hope I can walk in their footsteps and inspire as they inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said this so well. "I hope I can walk in their footsteps and inspire as they inspire me." Oh, Yes! I have ordered the book.

      Delete
  3. I concur with her statement about needing to create until we die. If I didn't create, I'd pretty much die anyway. Hope your new year is "being have" as my kids would say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jan. "Being have" pretty much describes it, I think. Creating comes in many forms. Even gardening. :-)

    ReplyDelete