About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, January 16, 2015

What's Beside Your Chair...







What's beside a person's chair tells a lot about that person... his interests, dreams, and ambitions.  Beside my chair, there is a basket which holds my favorite magazines, whatever book I am reading at any given time (Yes, I still like turning paper pages), a calendar on which I record daily events, a small spiral bound notebook - a journal of sorts, and an iPad.

When our daughter gave us an iPad for Christmas a couple of years ago, I remember asking, "What will we do with it?"  What, indeed...  My old, worn and ragged Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, which, before the iPad revolutionized our lives, was always beside my chair, has now been retired to another space in another room.  There's still an old set of World Book Encyclopedia, copyright 1963, upstairs in the "Research Room," as the Old Cowboy once named the attic room, but we hardly ever climb the stairs anymore to go "look something up."  As our little granddaughter says, we just reach for the iPad and "goo-goo" it.  However, the whole internet thing seems almost too good to be true...quite fragile, really. I think I might just hang on to the old dictionary, and keep the steps to the upstairs attic room swept off, just in case....

And, of course, I like to keep a bit of stitching beside my chair. At least visitors know which chair is mine...








12 comments:

  1. If what is beside one's chair is a reflection of its occupant then there is nothing electronic next to mine.There is a wooden, carved sewing stand that has been passed down from several generations and when I finally reach the point to which I can sit in the chair it is usually for a little knitting, stitching or just a place for one of the kitties to spend some time on my lap...
    To be honest right now it is piled with some vintage quilts awaiting my decision on what to do with them.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have needles, scissors and a stitch project around my chair. Usually, one too many projects. I was given an iPad too; and I realize its convenience; but still enjoy holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. I am not ready to give up all that is old for the new. I enjoyed reading your post today. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little box of needles is near my chair, as well as a tv tray for the lap top. Steve and I bought our Encyclopedia Britannica set when we were first married. We made those monthly payments for ages! Steve built a book case for those huge heavy books (resides in the loft along with the dictionary) & we wouldn't dare part with them. I'm a page turner too, gotta feel a book in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar for this one
    but no sewing "_
    Lots of books,
    pad and pencil
    and a bottle of lotion
    to apply to hands before
    bedtime :)
    Just glanced
    and a pair of slack
    I am going to hem...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your filled basket beside your chair sounds much like mine... But I have one in another room besides the basket next to the sofa, I have one next to my bed and that holds much, books, mags, IPad, woold yarns, paper tablet to take notes down on of forgotten items for the day, I also have a fresh water bottle tucked in there for late night thirst.
    So as you see our baskets of inspiration look to be similar, and how do we go on daily without the handy IPad.....
    Making Google searches a must.

    Thank you for the beautiful share, it made me think of what's in my baskets or boxes and what it says about me?

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a chair. poor me. I had a new recliner, but my husband liked it and took it for himself. One day I will get another, but the table beside where I do sit, atleast at my house has a few things, a light that bends, a candy dish, remotes, and a bee which is a reproduction of an antique. It is actually a honey dish, but I keep tooth picks in it. Napkins, and a stack of movies, usually. I love to read, but seldom get to now, I usually just take my books to the ( atleast a million doctor appointments we all have to finish them. My mama's chair side table sounds like most of every body elses with books, pens, magazines and such. crowded and over flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To the left of my platform rocker is my sewing box, holding misc sewing stuff, including my chap stick (I have delicate lips) and my latest sewing project, right now that is 3. To my right is a book shelf that has my physical therapy books, gardening books and magazines, quilting magazines and a set of encyclopedias. Among the shelves are pictures of my family. I love my "nest". What a fun way to get to know others! And I like your basket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) Little did I know when I wrote this that it would become one of my favorite posts ever! As Cindy said, "What a fun way to get to know others." How I love your comments here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If what's beside my chair is a sort of "furniture Rorschach", then I'm terribly afraid of what mine says. It's an unholy mess of bits of thread, pincushions (several), buttons, snips of fabric, trim, and yarn. Nail polish that never gets used and a tube of Carmex used constantly. An old potter face-jug holding my scissors, stuffing forks, crochet hooks, and hemostats for doll stuffing and finish trims. Sometimes the rings I take off in the evenings, bookmarks I forget about, and a little clay pot my kids brought me from a Mexico trip where I put little bits of debris I pull out of my dogs fur when he's on my lap. See? I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm. My chair is a corner of the couch. Usually there is a cup of tea or coffee and my kindle, my phone and magazines. Often there is a load of laundry on the couch with me to be folded. Usually the dog is snuggled between me and the warm laundry being folded.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fun, getting to "know" your readers! I don't have one chair in particular, but the one I sit in at night to work on things has an antique sewing machine on one side and an end table on the other. I usually don't leave my work sitting on the end table overnight, just a little container with empty Hershey wrappers :) My Bible and my daughter's new novel are on the sewing machine cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! So happy that Charlotte sent you my way and you enjoyed visiting my blog. I came right over to say 'hello' and visit a while. Love the basket of 'goodies' you keep by your chair, everything you need for a good 'sit-down a while' moment. Hope you'll visit me again soon, I'll certainly be back to visit you!

    ReplyDelete