About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, February 8, 2015

He is back...


So this love affair, his and mine, is to continue after all.  Perhaps I will be needing that new lens...

Fishing on a warm sunny day...

Playing hard to get... (He's good at that!)

Documentation... (Loved seeing the five together!)


Come on in...An old cabinet and chair for the sewing room.



The Willa Cather novel is finished, and, just as expected, death did, indeed, come for the Archbishop.  This wonderfully written novel left me with many brilliant and vivid images of New Mexico, some of which I scribbled into one of the little notebooks.

I could almost smell the sage-brush as I read and reread this passage...

"...he sometimes closed his eyes and thought of the high song the wind was singing in the straight, striped trees up in the Navajo forests...His first consciousness was a sense of the light dry wind blowing in through the windows, with the fragrance of hot sun and sage-brush and sweet clover; a wind that made one's body feel light and one's heart cry "to-day, to-day,..."

Now these folks really knew a thing or two about interior design.  I think I could feel right at home here.

"...The casa grande was long and low, with glass windows and bright blue doors a portal running its full length, supported by blue posts.  Under this portal the adobe wall was hung with bridles, saddles, great boots and spurs, guns and saddle blankets, strings of red peppers, fox skins, and the skins of two great rattlesnakes."

"The thick clay walls had been finished on the inside by the deft palms of Indian women, and had that irregular and intimate quality of things made entirely by the human hand.  There was a reassuring solidity and depth about those walls, rounded at door-sills and window-sills, rounded in wide wings about the corner fire-place.  The interior had been newly white-washed, and the flicker of the fire threw a rosy glow over the wavy surfaces, never quite evenly flat, never a dead white, for the ruddy colour of the clay underneath gave a warm tone to the lime wash.  The ceiling was made of heavy cedar beams, over-laid by aspen saplings, all of one size, lying close together like the ribs in corduroy and clad in their ruddy inner skins.  The earth floor was covered with thick Indian blankets; two blankets, very old, and beautiful in design and color, were hung on the walls like tapestries..."






7 comments:

  1. Don't you love the written word! How wonderfully descriptive Willa Cather is. I enjoy "seeing" what I'm reading and will reread many books over again just to experience the words.

    Love affair....hum....does your husband know? I won't mention a thing, my lips are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel at seeing the big birds, we see them here too and every time is just a great as the first. they are beautiful birds. I don't see how people are able to write wonderful descriptive books that take you to where they are, but it is such a gift to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes see the Blue Heron fly down the creek, but mostly I hear them. They have such a haunting cry, almost prehistoric! Your sewing room looks so inviting. I could enjoy stitching in the big comfy chair. You make me want to get out my favorite books and re read them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing him with us. (And images from your book!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy your friend has returned. I like how you look out for him. Your sewing room looks so warm and comfortable. It suits you well. I can imagine you in there sewing some clothes for one of your dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of these flew over my head a few days ago; I hadn't seen them until one made his/her almost prehistoric (thanks, Sherri) cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh he is so beautious!! It will be a long time till we see them in N.Y.! (way to Summer)
    I LOVE Willa Carter!! :-)
    Thank you for coming over to see Unky's railroad!! He so enjoys reading the comments!
    Have a wonderful blessed week! Warmly Linnie

    ReplyDelete