About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, February 16, 2015

Nothing Stays the Same...




Pecking and scratching in sleet and snow...a bit of wintery weather, afterall...







The sewing room make-over/ clean-out  continues...Last week's little brown chair has now been replaced with a comfortable wing chair (both of which had been stored for use by the "kids." They will never notice).   Covered in a beautifully woven wild-duck-design fabric, this chair suits me to a tee.  Why didn't I bring it in the first place?


The sewing machine corner




More from Molly Peacock's The Paper Garden...Pictured here is Mrs. Delany's rosa gallica, the subject of the flower mosaick which she completed at age eighty in 1780. The main flower of this work is composed of seventy-one pieces, each a separate single color.  From among her 985 flower mosaicks, rosa gallica is one of Mrs. D's most famous images, and appears on almost anything that can be adorned with a rose, postcards, note cards, placemats, coasters...

One excerpt from Molly Peacock that made its way into my notes had to do with perfectionism and proficiency.  She wrote, "Great technique means that you have to abandon perfectionism.  Perfectionism either stops you cold or slows you down too much.  Yet, paradoxically, it's proficiency that allows a person to make any art at all; you must have technical skill to accomplish anything, but you also must have passion, which, in an odd way, is technique forgotten."

Something to think about, for I surely do fuss with wanting to make things perfect...even the sewing room!




18 comments:

  1. I hear you! As I age, I really don't seem to want to do anything perfect, just done well and pleasing to the eye. Your room looks so cozy, a wonderful place to reflect and create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cindy, you've got it right...done well and pleasing to the eye.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! and I could certainly work for many long hours in that cozy sewing room .... ahhh, the wing chair ... I might never get up ;>] And that's a great bit of quote: "... passion, which, in an odd way, is technique forgotten." That thought is worth sitting with for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Technique forgotten," caught my attention too. My visitors may spend more time in the wing chair than I do...

      Delete
  3. Inspiring! I need to clean out and reorganize as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly allow myself to mess it up, but mess it up, I have! I am glad to have this little cubby just off the kitchen and front room, so family is never far away.

      Delete
  4. Now, that sewing room is much too neat!! Doll making must not be as messy as quilt block assembly. :)
    Just kidding ~ your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait another day or so and come visiting. :-) I am enjoying it, though, especially since winter decided to come calling.

      Delete
  5. That Molly was as a wise woman...
    The chair looks so inviting.
    If its snow you want I could send some your way... we have over 4 feet of the stuff!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the chair looks like a cozy place for a kitty to curl up and spend a winter's day. 4 feet!!! Thanks, but no thanks! :-) How do you keep a doggy inside the yard fence? :-/

      Delete
  6. your sewing room is so nice. pretty floors too. Trying to make things perfect does slow you down. It's true. I seem to be trying to make things perfect that were never meant to be. A lot of the dolls I am trying to make are lobsided, but maybe lobsided is perfect in some cases. Confusing isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I actually thought of you when I wrote this. As most true artist do, you have the passion needed to create wonderful art. You so inspire me!

      Delete
  7. oh my
    up in the night
    checking the weather
    and words I read
    I jot down in my journal
    "abandon perfection"
    must remember...
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, Ernestine, that of all the lovely places I visit, your wonderful Woodhaven comes just about as close to perfection as perfection can be. I do think it might be a good thing to put it aside a bit, and just go with the flow...

      Delete
  8. Sitting in a comfy chair is one of the joys of hand stitching. Great quote! We have about 6 inches on the ground so I will be house bound for a few days. Hope to get lots done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chair allows me to sit straight; can't work in a chair in which I slouch too much. I thought your neck of the woods got more snow than we did. More came down here, rather fast and furiously, last evening, and made for a pretty picture this morning. I can imagine you settled down in your snow-covered cabin, stitching to your heart's content. :-)

      Delete
  9. What a fine room for reading and creativity. Enjoy the rest of the quiet cold season, and that lovely place in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your wonderful sewing room! I also am storing my children s things for them.........but not as pretty as the chair! I love the mosaic.......and I have just started working with mosaic...........and I am not at all perfect..........sigh. I need to practice more

    ReplyDelete