About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, February 27, 2015

The Dolls...



There is no way sixty-four dolls can be allowed to run undisciplined, from room to room, throughout the house.   And, yes, I just counted.  There are sixty-four dolls, including the Skookum Indian dolls and their papooses, in my doll families.  That many dolls displayed throughout the house could certainly be a distraction to a general sense of organization and design.  Thus, the dolls are carefully confined to just two areas - Chip Butter's cozy sewing den, and two cabinets in another area of the house.  It is in the sewing area that the dolls are free to move about as they please, and it seems that they often do just that...











9 comments:

  1. My oh my your sewing room is so clean and organized and is truly a wonderful place to display some of the 64 dolls you made. What a delight it must be to walk into your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like solemn little children. I always love their colors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't large "families" wonderful. Such joy to look at them all. I will sort thru my quilts or baskets and reminisce back to the time I make them, how long I've had them. I have 12 basket I made and 3 I bought and 14 quilts I made and 3 that someone else made and many of both that I've given away or sold. And more to come! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dollies are so sweet & have the most adorable faces. I love the designs and colors of their clothing. They look so nice in your sewing room. I can just imagine those gorgeous Snookums all gathered in a cabinet. I have never considered myself a doll collector, but I do have a few that I've traded other doll makers for. As for actually purchasing dolls, I have 8 woodens......6 of them are still naked & just tucked in a drawer. ) I am fascinated by wooden dolls that have been carved by someones hand, 6 I know to be carved by men. I find that very interesting. One day I hope to get them out and make some clothing for the little dears & post them on my blog. I have a weakness for doll house furniture, in my 25 +years of cookie mold collecting, I have accumulated quite a bit even thought I rarely bought it. It's snowing here.......again. We were supposed to get 1 inch. So far it looks like 3 and still coming down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all adorable little beings; I wonder what kind of mischief they get into at night! I didn't realize there are 64 of them! Wow! You certainly have been busy for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to see pictures of your dolls. They are very comfortable in their places. I do know that any collection can take over the house. Mine took over my house and now they have taken over mama's house too. I have tried to confine them to a certain area, but the darn sneaky little devils always get out and find new favorite places around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My collection has started to expand beyond their designated boundaries... And soooo I am going to have to send some on the next leg of their journey. I will keep the holiday creations and the Izannah inspired dolls and dolls under 20".

    I love seeing images of your dolls. They DO have such a peaceful feeling to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like all the others; I love your dolls too. I have never seen all 64 of them; but hope to someday. Each glimpse is a wonder. You have such a creativeness making them. The dolls are you and fit your home surroundings beautifully. I love your style.

    ReplyDelete