It will soon be time to walk along the creeks and spring headwaters in search of spearmint for a favorite springtime salad.
Search creeks and spring headwaters for spearmint (it grows alongside watercress).
6 crisp red or yellow apples
Juice of 2 lemons
2 cups (packed) spearmint leaves, washed and drained
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup black walnuts or pecans, broken up
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1. Wash apples, core and cut into small pieces, but leave skins on.
2. Sprinkle lemon juice on apples (This enhances flavor and keeps the apples from turning dark.)
3. Tear or snip spearmint leaves into small bits.
4. Toss apples with raisins, nuts, and spearmint.
5. Add mayonnaise and toss salad briskly.
6. Place in a sparkling-clear glass bowl.
Serves eight. (Note: This salad is quite delicious without the spearmint leaves when they aren't available.)
Billy Joe Tatum (1932-2012)
Author of Billy Joe Tatum's
Wild Foods Field Guide and Cookbook