About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, March 25, 2015

"I meant to do my work today, but..."




A beautiful little trout lily* was hiding among spring grasses, and among lichens and leaves of old...  (Can you see it above?  I almost stepped on it.)



And,  farther downstream, rushing waters were being tossed to and fro across rock and craig...





And, the sarvis* blooms painted the steep hills white, and the red buds would soon be ablaze in the valley below.  (In memory of Dad)




"So what could I do but laugh and go...."
                                                                  ~Richard Le Gallienne
                                                       

Sorry little girl.  Spring is here.  But, there will be rainy days...







*White Dog-Tooth Violet, White Trout Lily ~ The white blooms have petals that curl back as they open; are solitary and 1 inch wide or slightly wider with large yellow staments.  The blooms often are in a nodding position.  Most of the plants have single leaves.  The flowers are on the two-leaved plants which have leaves up to about  inches long that are mottled with purplish brown suggesting the coloring of the trout.  The name "dog-tooth" is derived from the shape of the bulb.  Browsed by deer in early spring.  (Surprised we have any; so many deer.)  ~ Carl G. Hunter, Wildflowers of Arkansas

*Serviceberry, shadbush, sarvis ~ In early spring the rounded clouds of white blossoms contrast with other dormant vegetation, especially on hillsides.  The early blossoms were gathered for church services in eastern states, thus "serviceberry" or in some areas "sarvis berry". Carl G. Hunter, Trees, Shrubs, & Vines of Arkansas



9 comments:

  1. Cappy and I took a walk in the woods this mornin'. The ground had a carpet of the pretties little flowers everywhere & I wondered what they're called. Trout lilies! Your photos are beautiful. The new dolly will patiently wait her turn.....she's going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new dolly. How exciting. Your pictures are wonderful. So nice to see fresh new flowers spring up from the ground. Also, nice to see the water flowing again in rivers after being frozen for so long. How could you not go out to see all the wonderful sights to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your trees are beginning to leaf out. We still have some piles of snow here. The lily is so dainty.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of rainy days so your new sweet miss will not linger for long.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very descriptive wording here. I love your pictures. And, is that eyelashes on the sweet little girl? Your work never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a contemplative expression she has. I'm a firm believer that when Nature calls to be outdoors, we do well to listen to Her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and such a beautiful doll. The red looks good on her even though it's early days in her making. She does have a sweet face and expression. You have lots to look forward to this year, all the time out enjoying your beautiful home and making these grand dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doll has such a cute face. You can see the patience she has, especially when you are off tromping in the woods! But what fun it is to "tromp" around as spring arrives, to explore what is coming up first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should always let your work go and keep taking lovely photos like you do! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful pictures you always take! Work can wait a little longer........right?

    ReplyDelete