About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, March 15, 2015

"The Dishes Are Yours"....



"Sister, the dishes are yours."  As a girl growing up in a large family, I heard these words often after meal time, when my mother would steal away to sew before time to begin preparations for the evening meal.  It seemed especially so on rainy days when most outside work was put aside.  Perhaps, it is stamped on my DNA that I should sew on rainy days, for it seems the sewing room is where I usually while away the time as the rain patters pleasantly down overhead.


Small streams dream that they are mighty rivers...



The old White dressing up the sewing corner...


 

On this particular rainy day, I found myself in the attic searching through boxes for pieces of old cloth suitable for dressing an Indian doll, fashioned in the style of the old Skookum dolls made long ago.  Mary McAboy is a hard act to follow, for sure.

It is not all about the dolls themselves, but also about their simple clothing...cheap cotton cloth and colorful scraps of wool...both scarce commodities these days. It hardly seems fitting to dress such a doll otherwise.

I felt like I had hit the jackpot when, in one box, sent to me by an antique textile enthusiast friend,  I found this note:  "1880's calico.  I did not wash, but seems very clean."  And another read, "1900 - antique cotton - I reclaimed from a garment - all washed."

And finally, the icing on the cake, "Antique wool piece - very old - came from the southeast U.S.  Hand spun- hand woven, probably 1830 - 1850.  Look at the red binding that is left!  You could take that off and reuse on whatever you make with wool."   Wow, now talk about a "rainy day friend!" (Meaning one you can always count on).




Love these colors...double click to admire the coarse weaving...



A bit of frayed wool in a beautiful orange/red



After the rain...The earth is refreshed....




8 comments:

  1. Like your dolls; your furnishing are all exciting and unique. I love your style. Outside your home is amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoyed the rainy days & spent the time making bedding for the dollhouse. Today it's sunny and sooo nice. Can't wait to see more signs of spring. The creek has almost been a river the last couple days, when we step outside it's roaring. The old fabrics are lovely. Such gorgeous colors and weaves, just not the same today. Even the reproductions don't quite hit the mark! When ever I'm on e-bay, I make a point to look for Snookums. They are amazing. I am drawn to the men, they have such strong faces. No wonder you love them so much. Love the old white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...all of it. But that last photo took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your earth does look refreshed! Ours looks like a good source of mud for pies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty and I so enjoyed reading your story about the fabric! Yes, your photos look so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always looking for vintage fabrics whenever I'm out. I did find a small batch and not sure what I will use it for, I when the time is right, I know I have it. Just like you, the time is right to use your beautiful wool. I love when the earth starts greening up. Such a fresh breath of air.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my
    you did hit the jackpot.
    What a great hobby you have
    and wish I could find a piece of unusual fabric for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I missed this post but I'm thrilled once again with your landscape photos. It really brings a bit of joy. When reading your posts, I feel as if I am reading a piece of a novel and yet it is a blog journal. I love the old fabric you found on this particular rainy day and I'm sure your doll will be comfortable wearing it. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete