About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Garden Party...



It is the season of the whip-poor-will, for his springtime serenade has begun. "Whip-poor-will, Whip-poor-will," or "Chip-Butter-White Oak, "Chip-Butter-White-Oak..." (Which ever way it is. See my explanation above.)  So, in celebration, those of us here at Chip Butter White Oak are hosting a bit of a garden party. So, come on in...


  Nell is here to welcome all (hmm, that is, when she comes out of hiding)...

Now, don't mind the manners.  Some of us have a rude habit of staring...

The Rusty Rooster is standing guard... 

While others are simply brightening up a corner...

There's even a  place to sit and rest among the veggies...

Or in the azalea bed, if one doesn't mind a bit of rust on the seat of the pants...





12 comments:

  1. You have such a pretty place to live and work. I love the animals, your dog and the cows. The roosters are pretty too. Every thing looks so well cared for. I bet that bench does get a lot of resting folks when working in the veggies. You have the same careful attention in your home and gardens that you have in your dolls. That is nice and an outstanding trait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you decorate your yard and garden. Your yard art is amazing. Your flowers and greenery are so pretty to look at. It looks like a wonderful place to work and rest. I can see the attention to detail that you have put into your yard. The photo's are great and will be a treasure to look back on in the cold winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's all so pretty! Not a weed in sight! I love all the vintage things mixed in with the colorful plants. I guess age is catching up with me; when I work outside I seem to pay for it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inviting.............I want to come and enjoy your gardens. Luv the colorful pair. Your raised garden with the fence is just the thing I need. It looks critter proof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those roosters and potted plants are cheerful. Everything is so well kept and your lilies and azaleas are beautiful. I would definitely be resting on that bench in the veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't everything look wonderful in the spring! Clean and fresh, fun, fun, fun. And I don't mind the cows staring. Beautiful azaleas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear the poor-wills have arrived. Here in Seattle, it's the short "blurt!" of the Western Tanager that tells me spring has settled in, and summer will be easin' over to take its place, after another month of cool maritime weather.
    --Dennis
    PS I'm sure your grandma's chip butter is the wonderful Chuck-Will's-Widow... find a friend with the $10 Audubon app on their iPhone or iPad, and listen to its song. Had me mesmerized last spring in South Carolina. ...And thanks for posting your wonderful garden & woodland photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love our dog keeping watch! What wonderful photos. I love your yard roosters! So very pretty with all of your flowers and gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dog keeping watch makes me smile. I love the roosters in your yard! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dog keeping watch makes me smile. I love the roosters in your yard! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete