About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, May 21, 2015

Skookum Inspired...


Another Mary, another time...  This talented lady still inspires me!  I wrote here about the old pieces of cloth from which this doll's clothing is made.  It really makes her what she is!  She has such a wonderful old look and feel; much more than the pictures show.  She stands 13 inches, and is made of cloth and clay,  Her hair and boots are also sculpted from the clay. I have named her Morning Star, and her young son will be called Small Son until he reaches the age at which he can be given a proper name. 












15 comments:

  1. So pretty and fine. the cloth you had to use on these are perfect. They do look old. I have seen several of these Skookum dolls on ebay, but as nice as they are, they do not compare to yours. The baby is sweet and of course what name could be prettier than Morning Star. I wish my name was morning star too. Thanks for posting this pair. I just love to see the new dolls, it is a treat for sure,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I will try to think of you from now on as Morning Star. My advisor husband thought I should name her Mockingbird, but she seemed like a Morning Star to me.

      Delete
  2. Mary, your dolls just keep getting better and better! This one "takes the cake"! Now I don't mean for the first statement to indicate that I don't think your first dolls weren't wonderful, but this one shows how much you've learned over the years. She may be Skookum inspired but so much prettier. (Hope this comment makes sense.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte, I so remember that first doll. Just like so many things in life, when one gets things figured out, it is time to go on to something else.

      Delete
  3. What detail! I do love the character you give your dolls, the strength, the persona feels real, like you can just sit and talk to her. The name is great. She's such a good mother, keeping her little one warm in that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. Actually she and I have had several talks...especially when she was so wanting to become a real live doll and I wasn't cooperating. :-/

      Delete
  4. She is a beauty with a very soft face! Great work!
    All my best
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful work !!!
    love it too much !!
    :0))))
    http://elianeapkroker.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this doll and her child are spectacular. I like the name you have given her "Morning Star". You've done such wonderful sculpting and I love the expression on her face. Lovely detail on the hair and if you didn't tell me the shoes were sculpted I would have thought they were real leather. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful and detailed he is! You do such amazing work...........do you do shows? You should do a gallery of your work..........it would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just so beautifully done! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented
    my mother and grandmothers sewed
    not me
    I dig in the dirt, cook and have created some pretty homes :)
    thank you for your kind words this day on my journal.
    Under the weather
    cherries - too many - made me sick :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I just LOVE Morning Star and Small Son!! You have a way with the most desirable and sweet faces!!
    I think that the fabrics are perfection!! :-)
    Blessings and warmth, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so beautiful! The little one looks like he's taking it all in :-) And she looks so content but focused on her task at hand!
    Although I'm not surprised, I'm still in awe of the talent that you possess!

    ReplyDelete