About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, June 2, 2015

After the Rain...















It's a "Splish, Splash, Splosh" trek over the Chipbutter Trail these days, but I'm not complaining, for I did make a pledge during the terrible drought of 2012 that I would never complain about rain again.  The Old Cowboy said at that time that I might "eat my words one of these days."   And, I may, but I haven't yet...



12 comments:

  1. We've had so much rain some things looked too refreshed. :) For instance, garden plants have turned yellow, hay fields have turned brown with grass that should have been cut a month ago. Really, a little depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notice that I changed the wording just a bit; guess I was just trying to see the "silver lining" that Mom used to talk about.

      Delete
  2. Rain, rain go away come again another day! I want to see the sun shine all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have sunshine today! Lawnmowers are out all over the land. :-)

      Delete
  3. Everything is so lush and green...thanks to the rain! I especially enjoyed the photo of the cattle in the distance showing the beautiful hillside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist taking pictures of the cattle. They really do have beautiful eyes...something a dollmaker would notice, I think. I always wonder why that particular "mountain" appears blue. I have named it "The Not-So-Far Blue Mountain."

      Delete
  4. I think we all are tired of the rain. Silver lining: the trees will really grow this year, the springs are running again, dry up ponds and the under ground reservoirs are filling up. That's all I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A Silver Lining" would have been a good title for this post. I like your list.

      Delete
  5. pretty pictures. I guess we can't have it our way all the time.I have enjoyed the rain, but we haven't had as much as lots of folks. I have enjoyed the sun too. We just have to take what we get and do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just "do the best we can." My dad said that so many times...right up to the end.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! Glad you are having pretty days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos! I enjoyed the lovely images (as always a joy)
    Hope things have settled a dried a bit! :-)

    Thanks for visiting me I am always happy to see you! :-)
    Warmth and many blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete