About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Going in Circles...








Lately, there's been a lot of going in circles on the farm.  It's the season for making hay, and, thankfully, with all the rain we have had this year, there's lots of hay to be made.  It's my job to rake the hay...around and around the fields in a tractor pulling a machine that heaps up the hay in a long line ahead of the baler.  It's not a job I dislike, which I once wrote about in an older post.  Boring is not in my vocabulary, for if there's nothing else to do, I can fill my mind with all kinds of thoughts.  Being out in the field in a tractor is really a time to just enjoy being alone, which I need every once in a while.  And, when I get tired of just thinking, I often tune in to my favorite radio station, Big Country, which plays oldies but goodies.  Listening to the old songs isn't a bad thing, for when I step out of that tractor at the end of the day, I have my head all straightened out about the good things in life, the really important things in life...about livin', and lovin', and dyin'...

Of course, there are times when the baling stops for various reasons, and I have a bit of idle time.  I usually take along a little stitching project to have on hand for these times.  This little practice piece, which will probably be stitched into the second of the little "Four Strong Winds" cloth books, seems to be going in circles too, kind of like the bales of hay.

If you enjoy sewing you gotta love this from YouTube "1885 Technology Meets 2013 Technology GPS Tractor and Wilcox and Gibbs Sewing Machine.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmztSvG-Lw






10 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed that video! I can't wait to see how your circle evolves, love the autumn colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are like paintings on the landscape and the hues of the hay and straw bales always take my breath away.
    The stitching is lovely and a perfect way to fill your idle time.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the video! Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the bales of hay that are all around us here in ND. I watched the video and truly enjoyed it. I shared it with my DIL who grew up on a farm and still goes home and wants to go out in the fields when she can. She is a quilter too. I do believe she will enjoy it. I am enjoying watching your book come together; the process and knowing that you do it all from your own thoughts and not patterns always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video. I love that little sewing machine. Look forward to seeing the finished circle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! Now that is my kind of "work", combining work and sewing. Who would of have thought! Your circle is great, colors are rich. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great!! I wonder if this GPS would work on fields surrounded by creeks and thickets. The farmer uses a unit like this when he sprays the pastures; saves time and money. Now I'm not sure I could crank with one hand and guide the fabric with the other hand. What would happen when the tractor hit a hole made by wild hogs or armadillos? I'll be looking forward to seeing the completed book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A person who makes things, anything that they create, is always thinking, evening while working. It sounds like you have lots of times riding, and being able to think about what you would like to do next. The circle is very pretty. I haven't seen the video, but I will. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting the video! My daughter just got back from South Dakota and touring farms and seeing huge fields like that. I sent her the video since she would appreciate it. I love the little sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are my hero, a woman that can drive a tractor and stitch with delicacy! I wish I had a tractor, or at the very least a bobcat. Oh that video was just GREAT! Her wonderful farm hand turning the little hand crank as she ploughs, that huge acreage. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete