About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Shades of Orange...


Bright or burnished, seem to be showing up all over the place, almost as though they are trying to outshine the blazing, hot summer sun.




Along the Chip Butter Trail...






On butterfly wings....



Even in the center of the little nine-patch...





9 comments:

  1. Such beautiful and vivid colors with your photography! Your nine patch is wonderful. It is a neat pattern and stitched well. Love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos. Your circle embroidery is gorgeous! It's sure been hot and humid.......Cappy and I haven't had a walk in days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely earthy colors and to capture that in your sewing, marvelous! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Now that I am looking for it, I see more and more shades of orange popping up here and there...the rising moon last evening was definitely a beautiful orange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love orange. All the land is pretty. Great pictures. Your stitching is very pretty too. You will have quite a book when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos -- I love the 9-patch mandala!

    ReplyDelete