About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Legendary Hats...










The iconic Tom Mix and his trademark 10-gallon hat
(image in the public domain in United States)


It has been 150 years since John B. Stetson launched the company whose hats have become an icon of the American West.  In the early 1860s on a trek to Pike's Peak, Stetson, in an attempt to weather-proof himself, fashioned a broad-brimmed hat from felted fur shavings, the first "Boss of the Plains," which he later sold right off his head to a cowboy for a $5 gold piece.*

One old cowboy once said of Stetson's hats, "It kept the sun out of your eyes and off your neck. It was an umbrella.  It gave you a bucket to water your horse (the crown) and a cup (the brim) to water yourself.  It made a hell of a fan, which you need sometimes for a fire, but more often to shunt cows this direction or that."**

Stetson Hats are still being made today in Garland, Texas, in the good ole' USA. 

 *Cowboys & Indians Magazine, October 2015
**Wikipedia













8 comments:

  1. All your dolls and their very creative outfits are so wonderful. The detail is amazing. I could look at them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given the creator of the Stetson a "run for his money"! Your doll hats are really a special addition to the attire of the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see a new career direction for you! Wow, they are fantastic. The entire outfits are so detailed from the vests to the chaps and even a lasso. Are those pheasant feathers on the hats? Really nice work. They really feel like the wild west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dolls do have great hats, and they look so old and weathered. Love the cowboy especially. I am sure the hat, and maybe the 10 gallon hat in particular was a must for cowboys. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these dolls and their wonderful outfits. Those hats are the icing on the cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your dolls and their outfits - so clever. And thanks for the info on Stetson - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am visiting from Sandra's. Your dolls are amazing and the outfits are wonderful. You've thought of every detail! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post! Love the retrospective on Stetson, but loved even more seeing the details of your work again.
    I may have to come back to Blogger so my checking in is more regular. :~)

    ReplyDelete