About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Slippin' Away...




One of my favorite spots in any season...

A bit of color, already...
Today the sun set on the Chip Butter Trail a bit earlier than yesterday.  Subtle as they may be, changes are taking place all around.  Though summer still holds the door, one can almost hear a new season's tap on that door.  Feet seem to drag along the trail, for one is not quite ready for the last rays to settle behind yonder mountain.  But, there's work (and maybe some play) still to be done, so suddenly there's a nudge to hurry, for we know all too well, that summer's surely slippin' away.


Fruit along the trail...



Edging with rocks from a stream bed on the place... finished.

Fall-born calves (a little early)...

A last hurrah before school bells ring...





9 comments:

  1. Your are right. There are subtle changes in the air. Nature sure knows what she is doing as the hot days turn into chilly nights and then cooler days and fall is here. I love fall weather, it is my favorite time of year. In a way we hate to see summer gone as there are so many things we still need and want to do, but fall brings so many breezy beautiful days it isn't to bad. Of course, we don't get the heavy snow that alot of places do, but it does get cold here. The pictures are pretty and the baby cows are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, you are right. It is the feel of the air that spells change. I love fall; my favorite season too, but it never seems to last long enough.

      Delete
  2. I see the changes and feel them too. My flowers are slowing slipping away. Morning light seems to come a bit later and the evening darkness is arriving a little earlier. We have had to turn the heater on to nip the cold in the early morning hours. I am seeing the leaves starting to change their colors on the trees. This summer has been different from years past. We usually have so many lady-bugs in the early Spring; and I just did not see any this year. Also, in late summer is when the yard is covered with frogs. Only saw one the last time I mowed. Not sure what Fall will bring us. Hopefully it will stick around awhile before rushing off to let Winter arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I am seeing that you are already having some nights into the 40s...a nip in early morning, for sure. I have Crosby, ND in my saved locations since my son worked there for a couple of years. I find weather watching so interesting! Cooler weather means more time for stitching, so that is a good thing! "Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing. The days pass quickly when I am sewing." ~author unknown

      Delete
  3. Oh, fall is my favorite season also! The cool, crisp smell to the air, the slow changes of fantastic color and a time for lots of porch sitting. Ahhhh. It does make you wonder what old man winter will be like. Oh well, I can take it cause I love watching the snow too. Love your quote about sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about fall...53 here in the morning. We'll take it, but might need a jacket for a little porch sittin'!

      Delete
  4. As much as I love Summer, it is almost a relief when she begins to breathe her last sighs and Autumn begins to emerge in all it's golden glory! It seems that by the end of August, Summer is worn out and so am I, ready to stash the garden tools and just enjoy the falling leaves to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a tranquil beautiful place you have. The stream rock edging is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete