About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Hallie Pearle...







Somehow, Hallie Pearle has made her way...  She's not perfect, but then, I'm not sure perfection is something I am striving for.  I pondered on and on about the hair she would have, and even swiped away the first she wore.  In the end, she got sculpted hair made from cotton floss and paste, pulled back on the side and caught with an old button....thankfully no bow to tie!  Sculpted hair is such a final thing...no tweaking here and there.

She has borrowed clothing from the dolls' stash as we ponder what she will wear.  She's going to be a fussy one to dress for she's already changed three times this morning!




13 comments:

  1. So pretty!! Did you do the feather stitching on this dress? Sure adds beauty to the dress! Fannie has been borrowing a few of Isabelle's things this summer. Fun to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallie Pearle looks beyond perfect to me. She has a lovely face and I love the color red on her. Such a pretty outfit. The stitching adds so much to the design. I think her hair turned out perfect too. And I see such detail on her hands. I also note that she is sitting in front of what looks like a nice cross stitch picture. Is this something you made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, she is sitting in front of a sampler I stitched back in 1986. Not sure I could see to count threads these days!

      Delete
  3. She is such a beautiful doll with lovely brown hair. I love the way your pulled it to the side and held with a vintage button, how clever! Something borrowed maybe just the thing because the dress is very becoming on her. Love those rosy cheeks and he dainty red lips. You've done a splendid job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary, she is so serene in her beauty, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet face. Love that dress - can't she have it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely girl. She has such a pensive look. Her sculpted hair is so amazing & I love the button touch. She should have a full wardrobe...tee hee
    that includes that sweet dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallie Pearle is so beautiful. Great touch using the button as a barrette. How interesting to follow everyone's work and see what they create and use, especially when ordinary items are use. She's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallie Pearle is pretty. She is quiet and peaceful. You did give her beautiful coloring and I also like the dress with the stitching. Red suits her very well. If you change her dress it will be nice to see what else you pick for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sculpted hair is amazing. Love her dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is quietly serene and beautiful. Your method of hair creation is quite remarkable, it looks wonderful! If she is anything like most ladies, she will have to change her clothes several times before settling on the perfect outfit. ( although I like the one she is wearing).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This may well be my favorite of all your dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is a favorite of mine, too. What a beautiful face...very sweet and old fashioned. She will be fun to dress and pose. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete