About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Oh Fall, How I Love Thee...


Let me count the ways...  (Photos taken in 2012 and 2013)


















 It may be another month before we get much color...hoping for a good one!



15 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The leaves are turning faster there. It hasn't started here yet. It is a little cooler though. I love fall too. It is my favorite season of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I took these photos in 2012 and 2013. It will probably be another month before we get much color.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!. They are predicting the NC mountains will have a spectacular leaf season. It's my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly have something to look forward to! What beautiful views. We are seeing yellow and gold color changes on the trees in our parts. Nothing quite like yours. What beauty and color to enjoy before everything turns white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the northern plains. When my son worked in North Dakota, he sent lots of pictures, many of which I have kept. The old deserted farmsteads are my favorites.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are always so beautiful. I too can't wait for fall to arrive. Cappy and I would love to take a long walk your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, come on down! What fun! But, I must tell you before you do that we have bears here. Just this week, a neighbor, from only two miles away, showed us photos of four different bears (a mother and two cubs and a teenage male) that he got with his game camera. Now, I may need that super zoom after all!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos indeed. Everyone I talk to says that Fall is their favorite time of year, mine as well. The town of Fairfax, where I live, has had an alarming amount of bears around town. Mark saw one walk up the road right next door to us a few weeks ago which is the first one spotted so close to the houses. I think perhaps the apples play a role plus the river is across the road. We are in the middle of bear hunting season so I hope they stay home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you sound so much like me..."I hope they stay home and safe." That is, assuming you are hoping the bears stay home! I am sure they love apples! I really am not afraid of them; just don't want to get between Mama and her cubs. I just want one good bear picture. And, to find a hummingbirds' nest!

      Delete
  6. I do love fall. It's soo refreshing to me. And the colors.....Ahhh. I could be outside all day long. Your view is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly make myself stay inside on these beautiful fall days...plenty of time for inside later on!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! What spectacular colors! I'm really surprised some pictures were taken in 2012, the year of our drought; one wouldn't expect such glorious color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being surprised at how beautiful the fall of 2012 turned out after that horrid summer. If the dry streak continues on this year, we may see more of that glorious color.

      Delete
  8. Dang, girl...if I lived there I'd love Fall too. Wait--I already do and we don't have that gorgeous color palette here!

    ReplyDelete