About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Day in October...


 I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.  ~Anne of Green Gables











The dye pot (just an old crock pot on the back porch) has been simmering night and day.  First, there were bundles of cloth rolled in leaves, so now there are more of my mother's scraps of old, old flour sacking imprinted with autumn leaves.  They make a wonderful canvas on which to stitch, I think.

The half-circle cloth, which Mother had probably cut for a small scarf, will be just that...a scarf.  Unlike Mother, who would have hemmed and edged in properly, I will leave the rounded edge ragged.  I will, however, do a small backstitch around the piece to control how far the fraying can go, should it want to go.  I also doubt that she would have approved of leaf markings on her scarf.

I finished reading the final book, Frightful's Mountain, in Jean Craighead George's My Side of the Mountain Trilogy.  I enjoyed this final book immensely, and haven't been able to get thoughts of migration out of my mind.

Ms. George wrote, "The happening was migration.  It was full upon the Northern Hemisphere.  The shorter hours of sunlight and lowering temperatures were telling millions of birds to go south."  One of my winter projects will be to embroider the migrating Frightful on the leaf-stained and frayed-edged cloth.

The girl is still borrowing clothes, much to the chagrin of her sisters.  We have decided that she shall be dressed in brown to match the old button.  There are not many pieces of brown left in my fabric stash, but we will make do, even if we have to turn again to the dye pot filled with black walnuts.



20 comments:

  1. Your dye pot sure puts out nice designs! Maybe Mother wouldn't mind, once she understood the process and end results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right...she wouldn't have minded, but I never knew of her leaving anything with an unfinished edge.

      Delete
  2. I love that you're leaving the scarf edge to its own devices (mostly). And I think your mother would love that you still HAVE the scarf and value it, rather than disapproving of what you do with it. Who knows...maybe she'd be charmed by the leaves? I'm a huge fan of October myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom was such a hard worker. If she had started on leaves, it wouldn't have been long until they were everywhere. I hope you are having a wonderful October, too!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I live where there are Octobers too. The dyed fabric with leaves is so lovely, I think your mother would approve & the frayed edge is very fitting. The dolly's fabric is just right for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time, for sure, to get serious and sew this doll a dress of her very own.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful leaf pattern for sure and what a marvelous scarf it will make. I am in love with your Native American dolls, you have really captured a spirit in each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judi. The Native American dolls really are my favorites.

      Delete
  5. October is my favorite month. We have had some pretty days, but still hotter here than where you are I am sure. I hope to get a nice free day to just ramble and enjoy the weather before long. Brown is pretty on your doll, but I liked the red too. I understand about why your mother would always stitch the edges, but sometimes we want to do something different, or what we want to make calls for something different. The leaves on the cloth are pretty and I think it would be pretty if the edges frayed a little. I do think it is great that you still have some of the old cloth that was your mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "just to ramble and enjoy the weather" sounds wonderful! I hope you will take a day to do just that, and I think I will too.

      Delete
  6. Aaah October. Wish there was more than just one month like October. Love the prints of leaves on the cloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, October is always way too short! We are already a tad over the half-way mark. :~/ I think we should get out and enjoy the remaining days!

      Delete
  7. October is certainly here and we had our first Frost warning last night. My last two plants on the porch had to be moved into the garage. They predicted temps to be around 27. My hubby just put up the last bit of insulation in the new walk in closet last night too. Perfect timing; as the closet is right near the bed. We had such a fierce wind a few days ago that it blew all the leaves away from our yard. The trees are barren now. Wish Fall would last just a bit longer around here. I love how you managed to transfer the pattern of the leaves to the cloth. It is so amazing. And it will make an amazing piece of clothing for your doll. I am anxiously waiting. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think your fierce wind blew through here last night...now we are much cooler, but hopefully there will be no frost, yet. At least you don't have to rake leaves. :~) Just remember..."Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing. The days pass quickly when I am sewing. ~author unknown

      Delete
    2. Love that saying...I will have to remember that. And yes, my first comment to my husband was "I guess we don't have to worry about going out and doing a lawn mowing just to tidy up the look of all those leaves"!

      Delete
  8. Anne of Green Gables, my favorite!!! Ahh, October! Is there any other month? Your mother would be pleased to see the work you put into her cloth. All mothers are pleased when they see how creative their children are, although it may not have been what she would have done. I think it is beautiful and looking at it every day would remind me of past, present and future Octobers. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorites too. Last winter I reread the first two in the series; may continue on this winter. And, I absolutely loved the movie with Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth. There really are memories hidden in those leaves printed on Mom's cloth.

      Delete
  9. Must try the dying with leaves, what a marvelous soft look it gives the fabric, as well as pattern. October is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her brown blouse -- I want one just like it and you've inspired me!
    The scarf leaf print is beautiful -- is it cotton or linen? What is your favorite pre-treatment? I've been starting to scour my cotton cloth beforehand but it would be too harsh for vintage cloth...so fun to visit here. See you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Miss Chip!!
    The round half cloth looks beautifully perfect!!! I just love your expressions from your own perceptive relationship with nature!! :-)
    xx oo Linnie

    ReplyDelete